Wanting to SBR my new KAHR AO Thompson 1927 A-1

I am looking to do a SBR for my new 1927 A-1 Thompson semi-auto. I would like to contact Deerslayer Dan to see if he has SB's, for a 1927A-1, and if so, would he do the swap for me? I would also need a Cutts Compensator with front sight installed. My Thompson has the detachable stock and shorter 16" barrel (T1B-14) with the Cutts permanently attached. I need to know if that compensator can be removed without damage, as I can no longer find a Cutts available anymore. I am in the process of acquiring a tax stamp for the SBR. Can anyone direct me as to how to contact Deerslayer? 

I posted below the real violin case with faux gator skin and antique brass latches that I customized for my Thompson. Note the humidity sensor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve45

Thompson Violin case #4.jpeg

The compensator on my Thompson is permanently affixed to the barrel because it is the 14" barrel before compensator, not the 16" like most 1927's. Your barrel was 18" with compensator and was pinned because if you removed the compensator, it is still 16" barrel. My Thompson has a 14" barrel before compensator and has the compensator permanently fixed to make it 16" so you cannot remove it, because if it was pinned you could easily remove it, and it would then be an illegal SBR.

Jimbola23,

Where did you get the short barrel?   Or did you have your barrel cut down and threaded for the compensator? Did Dan Block do any of it for you?

I had a pistol Thompson, it had a 10” barrel. I bought a Steel receiver and swapped that for the aluminum one that came on the pistol. In total I have two Thompsons. I do all of my own work (for the most part). I will be using the barrel wrench to also SBR the rifle 16” Tommy. 

If I were you I’d take that barrel off, buy the one you want and get another cutts when they get some back in stock at the Kahr website. 

you can always send your barrel away to get the cutts properly detached.

how is yours permanently attached?

Edited by Jimbola23

Deerslayer is a member here.  You can pm him.   Or, His website is thompsonstocks dot com.   His email address is listed on the bottom of that page.

My short barrel came from thompsonbarrels dot com.  He did a nice job with mine.  As did Dan when it was installed.

Dan did quite a bit of other work on mine.  Completely transformed it into something fun to shoot and show off.

Good luck with your project.   Timmy

9 hours ago, Jimbola23 said:

I had a pistol Thompson, it had a 10” barrel. I bought a Steel receiver and swapped that for the aluminum one that came on the pistol. In total I have two Thompsons. I do all of my own work (for the most part). I will be using the barrel wrench to also SBR the rifle 16” Tommy. 

If I were you I’d take that barrel off, buy the one you want and get another cutts when they get some back in stock at the Kahr website. 

you can always send your barrel away to get the cutts properly detached.

how is yours permanently attached?

I think the Cutts is welded onto the barrel by KAHR so it cannot be removed thus being under the legal 16" limit.

10 hours ago, TennesseeTimmy said:

Deerslayer is a member here.  You can pm him.   Or, His website is thompsonstocks dot com.   His email address is listed on the bottom of that page.

My short barrel came from thompsonbarrels dot com.  He did a nice job with mine.  As did Dan when it was installed.

Dan did quite a bit of other work on mine.  Completely transformed it into something fun to shoot and show off.

Thanks Timmy

10 hours ago, TennesseeTimmy said:

Thanks Timmy, I messaged Thompsonstocks.com for a barrel and Cutts with sight. Now I am waiting to hear back, if he doesn't do a removal and install for me, I will contact Dan Block, I hear he is the go to guy.

I filled out an e-Form 1 for an SBR tax stamp and will send it electronically. I scanned both sides of my drivers license with photo ID and put it in a PDF file on the form. Will this be ok for a photo ID?

I also made an appt. with the Sheriff's office for fingerprints on Thursday morning. They said they do not have the ability to do electronic fingerprints yet.

Do I need to take anything to the Sheriff's office to do the prints?

They said they can do the prints and send them in an email to me and I can scan them and send them electronically that way. Is this correct?

I have already filled in the CLEO as the Sheriff in my County Police Dept. with the address. I keep seeing people saying the FBI needs to send you 3 blue fingerprint cards that have to be filled out and sent in.... I am confused.......can someone enlighten me?

One more question.....after I am done with my e-form and I submit it, does it give me 3 electronic copies, one to send to the ATF and one to send to the Sheriff and one for my files? I am not clear as to how this process will work.... Sorry about all the questions but I just want to make this as streamlined as possible. 

Steve45.

Hope your finger prints went alright. It’s usually pretty easy here in Reno. 

If you E-filed you only need to send in 2 sets of fingerprint cards + your atf cover letter. The cover letter is one of the attachments in the email from the atf after you complete your transaction on the eforms site. 

Back when paper forms were common, two copies of your submitted form-1 were sent to the atf with 2 sets of FP cards and the cover letter, and one copy of your submitted form-1 was sent to your law enforcement agency you choose. So there were always 3 forms but only two sets of FP cards needed. Maybe that’s were the 3 came from you are thinking about. 

it’s important to note that you only need to send your law enforcement agency the law enforcement copy of your submitted form-1. To my knowledge this does not have to be the approved form-1. The law enforcement copy does not require your photo or fingerprints. 

Hope this helps. 

Also to your previous question. 
here are some links for the shorter barrels. 

apex has non finned  

https://www.apexgunparts.com/thompson-m1-m1a1-barrel-10inch-new.html

royal tiger imports has finned and non finned 

https://royaltigerimports.com/shop/1928a1-thompson-45-acp-10-5-finned-smg-barrel-parkerized/

I also make barrel wrenches for removing and installing new barrels if you are interested in one.   I’m currently making one for @Jimbola23as he stated above. 
I have a link to that here if interested. 

Hey Connor,

Thanks for the input.

Fingerprinting was a breeze (10 minutes in and out) they are very friendly at the Sheriff's office. (Pro 2A Sheriff).

I sent 2 copies with the BATFE form that was sent to me that I printed out. Hopefully my photo ID in the PDF form is accepted and I am approved in a couple months....

I contacted Apex, and they said their barrels are for 1928 A-1 and will not thread onto a newer  KAHR or WH 1927 A-1 Thompsons....Hmmm??

I also contacted Thompsonbarrels for a new 10.5" square finned barrel and Cutts compensator, no problem.  Deerslayer said he will try to remove my Cutts, as it is NOT pinned or threaded, because it is the T1B-14 model with a 14" barrel and Cutts permanently installed (pressed on?)it can't be removed by the purchaser rendering it an SBR.

As for the barrel wrench you make, yes I would like to buy one from you. As a member it would cost me $150.00 correct?

Let me know how you want payment for it, and when you would have one to sell.

Thanks for you input and hope to hear from you soon,

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Steve45

Hey @Steve45just sent you a DM regarding the wrenches. I’ll have a few available for purchase by the end of next week. 

That is interesting about Apex’s response. I know for a fact that I have a smooth bodied M1A1 barrel in my 1927 A-1 receiver. I haven’t tried a 1928 square finned barrel in the 1927 A-1 receiver though. Edit, I just found this on the royal tiger imports website regarding their 1928 finned barrels: “These will also thread into M1A1 Thompsons and function, however an M1A1 front sight does not thread on to this barrel (M1A1 sight pressed & pinned instead). 

so it seems all Thompson barrels thread into the 1927, 1928 or M1A1 receivers and the differences arise in the muzzle (threaded vs unthreaded). 1927 and M1A1 are pressed and pinned muzzles whereas the 1928 barrels have a threaded muzzle.

I had a pressed and pinned cutts comp on my 1927A-1 barrel though so Kahr must make cutts comps that are threaded and some that are pressed and pinned. 

Regarding your 14” permanently attached cutts comp. I took my cutts comp off the barrel prior to sliding the wrench on. There might be a chance that I could get the wrench over the cutts comp without removing though. I’ll try that in the morning. 

Connor