I have a cutts comp that has a pin thru it…. Is it pressed or screwed on… I removed the pin but couldn’t get the comp off…. But I didn’t want to take a hammer to it either…. Any help??

IMG_2803.jpeg

10 hours ago, Larryp44 said:

I have a cutts comp that has a pin thru it…. Is it pressed or screwed on… I removed the pin but couldn’t get the comp off…. But I didn’t want to take a hammer to it either…. Any help??

The pin, all by itself, is not an indication of which style it is. Pins are used for both. I suggest trying to screw it off first, using a non-marring barrel vice or wrench. If it won't budge, try heating the comp. There may be Loctite in there.

I've never dealt with pressed on comps, so others will need to chime in. Doubtless, there are tricks to those. I'd love to know them, too.

HTH, Karl, 68coupe

10 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Its press fit.  They are pretty tight.  

How does one remove the press fit compensators, without damaging them. My commemorative WH, with all the gold bits, may want a short barrel sometime in the future. LOL

Karl, 68coupe

Set the nose into a cup of "Kroil" for a week.

Make an aluminum bar that fits through the compensator but stops at the muzzle and indexes a little into the bore.

Set it up into your press, push a little, heat with hair dryer/heat gun,

Catch it when it pops apart...          ...Phil

Edited by anjong-ni