Mp43/44 .30cal Barrel.

A few months ago I put out a request on this site for an Mp43 barrel to be used in reactivation of an Mp43 dewat. I found the barrel and now the gun is legally activated and just waiting to rip. Problem as usual with these fine guns is ammo.

I have 80 original WW2 german steel cased rounds in boxes with stripper clips but I am very hesitent to use any. I recently had a 9mm black bullet WW2 steel cased round blow the case and lodge the round in a Sterling barrel. Fortunately, the following round did not fire. I an not willing to risk this fine piece.

Cutting down cases, forming and reaming is a slow process. Bullets are also a problem. I would like to propose some possible alternate solutions.

Before I found an original barrel in exc. condition, a gentleman contacted me through this site about a barrel he had recently made. Unfortunately I cannot find his address and cannot reach him. If he can make a new barrel in 8MM Kurz, why not in a wildcat shortened 7.62x39 or for that matter any other short case? I have an extra barrel that has its chamber welded. How about a sleve for it? The caliber is fairly low velocity and should not be a problem. There are a lot of welded Mp43 barrels around.

The advantage would be in bullet and bullet mold availability, easy resizing, no reaming and an easy long neck cut off. Velocity would be a bit lower but so what, the back stop will never know the difference. On the down side, the bolt head may have to be changed or remanufactured to accommodate the slightly smaller 7.62x39 head.

If anyone has any imput I would appreciate any ideas on the subject. I understand there are a few new short cases available now that may be a better choice. I am not up on all the new shorties. Would the gentleman who makes Mp43/44 barrels please contact me at Tokarev@aol.com.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif hmmm, Doc AV on 'The 98k Mauser Forum' (infantryrifles.com), in the Reloading thread, loads 7.62 rounds into reformed cases, by not reaming the new case mouth, only trimming the cases once reformed. He says he shoots competition with them, and they rounds are accurate enough.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif ..........jw

• 2 weeks later...
I made contact with Bob @ Tankride and he was extreemely helpful. I will be attempting the 7.62x39mm conversion as soon as I get the two required parts. If I am successful I will post results on this site. Hank