Bm59 Question

NORIDE

I just purchased a Nigerian BM-59 select-fire rifle that is having some feeding problems. Upon disassemblt I noticed that the Op-rod Spring Guide is a two piece unit. Are these supposed to be two piece ? Thanks

NORIDE: The BM59 Four language brochure shows the op rod spring guide as two parts, an operating rod spring tube and an operating rod spring guide. The operating rod spring guide is the piece which resembles a knitting needle. It's function is to act as a rate reducer. Many semi-auto 59's do not have the operating rod spring guide and operate fine without it. I would suggest trying your 59 using only the operating rod spring tube (which most refer to as "op-rod spring guide") without the operating rod spring guide. As for the feeding problem, have you tried a different mag? Is the gas cylinder plug tight? Gas spindle valve open? I would suggest grease lube on the spring guide tube and inside the op rod rear opening.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

MRJ

I own a BM59 that came with the operating rod spring guide when I purchased the gun from Reese back in 1992. I then purchased a BM62 last year (BM59's are banned in the state in which I live) and it came without the operating rod spring guide - I called Colleen Reese and she was quite surprised that I got a operating rod spring guide in the BM59. She told me that the weapon operates better without it - but sent me the missing guide. Yesterday I ordered new operating spings from Wolff, part #16750, and will replace my existing springs when they arrive. If you have a FFL or C&R, get a 33% discount from Wolff (I have no connection, just that their springs work in my pistols) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

If you look back in the earlier posts of SAPPER, I purchased his BM-59. I will disassemble it completely this weekend. One thing though, I pushed the gas cylinder forward and noticed that the cyl. plug could be unscrewed with my fingers, so that might be some of the feeding problem he said he had. He mentioned that this gun likes to " Shoot itself loose ". The front sight slides back and forth, the rear mag catch pin is halfway sticking out, the rear sight is real loose etc. May be that it is like a Harley and you need to use Blue Locktite on certain things. He mentioned the two piece Op rod guide and another S.O.T. told me that when he had a BM-59 that his Op rod guide was one piece so that is why I was wondering about the two piece unit, looks ok with a small amount of spalling on the "Head ". Will keep you posted on the continuing saga. Best Regards BOB