Wtk- How To Research History On M1a1

You likely will not find much.

That said, I'd first buy a copy of "American Thunder II" (AT II, see the opening page to this website). Next send the BATFE a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request letter (see pinned topics above). While you're waiting for the response to the FOIA letter, read AT II.

The FOIA letter should provide you information of when transfers were made (but not by who) from the 1968 amnesty when the gun was probably registered. The chance of determining any history prior to that is very slim.

Best of luck with your search.

Enjoy many happy times with your Thompson!

I have a pre-sample M1A1 that I did a FOIA request on. I should be getting it back any day now. It should have been here by now. As stated above, it will only show dates of transfers and what type of form it transfered on. All names and addresses will be blacked out.

Just went to the mailbox. I got a bill from ATF for the FOIA request. I have to send them a check before they will send me the results. They have never charged me before.

Edited by timspawn

QUOTE (bobandc @ Jul 22 2006, 11:04 AM)
Hi,

I have been told that it was a LAPD gun in the 50's, transfered to an individual in the 60's and then to the guy that I got it from in 2002 or so. Can I write Savage, will they have any shipping info. on it?
Bob

Email Savage and ask if they have any of their old records on the guns. It cant hurt to ask.

QUOTE (bobandc @ Jul 22 2006, 11:04 AM)
Can I write Savage, will they have any shipping info. on it?

Unfortuately, Savage wouldn't any shipping records on your gun. Auto-Ordnance Corporation owned the rights, patents, etc., Savage was merely the contractor that made the guns. All guns would have been shipped directly to the military through Auto-Ordnance. The guns weren't purchased by the military directly from Savage.

I would suggest reading the book described by SecondAmend to learn about the history of the military guns. You will save yourself a lot of time and trouble trying to find a history on your gun, if you study American Thunder II first.

Bob,

Factory records will tell you original configuration and date of manufacture. Much of the story of your gun is in how it was owned and used after production. A FOIA request to the BATFE, for the [redacted] NFRTR records might provide valuable and entertaining insights.

Sven

QUOTE (sevengunner @ Jul 22 2006, 05:00 PM)
Bob,

Factory records will tell you original configuration and date of manufacture.   Much of the story of your gun is in how it was owned and used after production.   A FOIA request to the BATFE, for the [redacted] NFRTR records might provide valuable and entertaining insights.

Sven

I believe Tracie Hill has already attempted to research the Savage records. According to what I remember at the TCA Show a couple of years ago, the Savage records of the submachine production from that era no longer exist. I believe Tracie told me that they were destroyed.

For what it is worth you can contact Savage, but I don't believe you will find the information you are looking for.

GI Jive,

I agree that the Savage factory records are impossible to acquire. Factory records also don't tell much other than original config and manufacture date. My suggestion to Bob is to file a FOIA request with the BATFE for the redacted trail of registration / ownership.

Sven