Finishes On Mp38/40

mp40

What type of finish would the original stamping (like the reciever or the magazine housing) have, before bluing or "Bonderising?"(sp) brushed? or as stamped?

• 3 weeks later...
Hey! doesn't anyone here have a C&R numbers matching,original-finished mp40?? or how about original finished parts? what type of pre-bluing/phosphating finish did the steel have as rolled? or was it brushed?I know that it wasn't polished....But what process was used?

The original finish as applied to MP40 SMG's and MP40 parts produced during WWII was a hot dip salt blue prior to the late war bonderizing process. Bonderizing is similar to the US military parkerizing process. Some of the bonderizing was tinted with color/contamination or was clear. Even late in the war the MP40's that were having a bonderized finish may have some small parts that were blued. Subcontractors used whatever parts they had to complete guns so there are some strange combinations of parts on some original MP40's. Have seen original late war MP40's with early model parts as that what was left in the parts bins. Most MP40's that were brought into the country as parts kits have been rebuilt or repaired by the host country many times. Norway used the MP40 for tank crews up to the early 1980's.

The original MP40 receivers were stamped, formed and then welded together unlike the MP38 receivers that were a machined tube. Whatever finish was on the metal after forming was the finish on the metal after being blued. No parts were brushed, just the natural metal finish.

Ben, C&R refers to the Curio & Relic provision in U.S. federal law. As defined as a firearm that has been determined (as in determined by the ATFE) to be unlikely to be used in crime, due to being rare or very unusual...Several machineguns/sub machineguns are on these lists as are other firearms...

BNZ43, Thanks for your information on the mp40, it corresponds to my information that i have available. Although, I have not seen a example of a fully bonderised mp40, but, it is not to say that a few do not exist, perhaps a late 44' produced-Steyer? I really think that this subject needs to be explored more...As there are many vet "bring-backs" here in the states, and there are allot of "Dekos" and deactivated mp40's in Europe, many of these have never been refinished. Any comments from Europe on this subject?