Wtk: Reloading For Thompsons?

OK, I am going to try it after reading all your posts. I was against shooting reloads in any full auto weapon, but I cannot keep buying .45acp. You guys win! If you can please help me, what loading do you use for your Thompson? I am not going to cast so I need to know where you get bullets. I need powder and weight and primer. Any other tips will be appreciated. All of you have convinced me to get set up to begin reloading .45acp. Thank you all again.

I started re-loading so that I could have consistent sub-sonic 9mm ammo. Now I would prefer to use my own reloads to any commercial ammo available.

I would defiantly use jacketed bullets because of the amount of rounds cycled during a typical outing and the amount of heat generated during a cycle. Berry’s Bullets http://www.berrysmfg.com have 230 GR RN Double Struck Bullets that are very good quality, at a reasonable price, Cat. No. #701-004.

After trying different powders from Alliant to Vihta Vuori, simple Winchester 231 seemed to work the best. It is a clean burning, Spherical (ball) powder that gives consistent measures in progressive equipment.

I follow the Winchester Reloading Guide and use 5.3 gr of Win 231 (which is a middle of the road load 4.9 – 5.7 gr range) and Winchester Large Pistol Primers – WLP.

I use a Dillon Precision RL 550B, and it won’t take many 1000 round outings to pay for your equipment.

http://dillonprecision.com

Welcome to a new great hobby!

I buy all of my ammo from a commercial reloader. They all carry product liabilaty insurance(my dealer has $4 miilion), that will pay for your gun if there are any ammo related faults. You will not have this with your own reloads, and I doubt if any insurance would pay if you were shooting reloads. I picked up 1500 rds of 230 fmj yesterday for $275.

I've been loading for many years and have recently started using Berry's plated 230 gr bullets over 5.2gr of Win 231. and a CCI regular large primer on the bottom. I use a single stage RCBS press, and a RCBS power combo scale.

Quite a few of my guns have never digested anything but reloads and I have yet to have a squib or over powdered ctg.

After a little practice you will develop a system of checks to make certain that all is as it should be. Read a good manual and stick to the loads listed in its tables, go slow until you are comfortable with the process.

Berry's states that you can drive their plated bullets out to 1,100 to 1,200 fps without any problems, so long as you do not over crimp and disrupt the jacket, or plating. Obviously you will not use a roll crimp on the 9mm or 45 ACP. Seeing that all of the data I've seen was through a shorter test barrel a chronograph would not be a waste.

A faster bullet doesn't always yeld a more accurate load either.

So start low, and slowly work up watching for any signs of pressure. You can see visually on the cases and primers changes that will indicate that you are getting close to the limits for the combination of the components you have.

At one point Oehler made a chronograph that also had sensors that mounted on the barrel that would give you pressure readings. But they were pricey and no longer made for over the counter sales.

I find reloading as much fun as shooting and maintaining the collection.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. It is always good to hear from the good people here and the experienced. I did not think a commercial reloader would have insurance to cover a Colt T-Gun. I thought it only covered mostly personal liability and reasonable value on firearms.

FireMerc, I will be starting out with a Dillon Precision. Thank you for the links. I will use all your information to get started. I was very dubious about reloading, but many of you have convinced me to start. Thank you again for your expertise.

Since your considering Dillon equipment I’ll give you a suggested shopping list, all items listed are Dillon except the chronograph.

- Press, RL 550B, the reason is this is a press that can do both rifle and pistol cartridges, it has manual indexing (makes checking powder charge or any other variable much easer, “Keep it Simple”) and is easier and faster to change to the next caliber to be loaded.

- Scale, D-Terminator, it may be $90.00 cheaper for a balance beam scale however think of it $50.00 saved when you will trade it for a digital 6 months later.

- Case cleaning, if space is tight use a CV-500/CM-500 if however you have ample space start with a CV-2001/CM-2000 with automatic weapons you will be able to use the additional capacity.

- Steel Caliper either dial or digital to measure all aspects of cartridge reloading

- Some useful additional items are, Bullet Pulling Hammer, Primer Flip Tray and additional Primer Pick Up Tubes.

- Enough importance probably can’t be placed on a Chronograph; there are too many variables in reloading to know accurately what is happening in your firearm. I have yet to see a reloading manual that lists a Thompson or a subgun / suppressor combination on it’s pages. A recommendation is http://www.shootingchrony.com/ whichever model you like will work well.

All the powder manufactures are usually very helpful; they want you to use their powder and to do so their technical support will provide you loading information at no charge.

I have no vested interest in Dillon other than I live close to their facility, they taught me the basics of reloading in their showroom and they have been a top-notch company to do business with.

Thanks to all you veterans of Thompsons. I do have a question to ask. On my first batch of reloads, should I test them in a pistol (1911 or Glock 21) first? I am just not confident enough to load them into my W.H. I just know the value of my W.H. and do not want to chance doing anything to it.

If your attentive to what you are doing there should not be any problems, actually your WH is stronger than the 1911 or Glock.

Chamber sizes differ, if your WH has a mil spec chamber it may be a little larger than that of your pistols.

Don't worry about using a pistol. In fact, since the Thompson has a longer barrel, it would be best to test using that, BUT keep it on semi-auto for the first few rounds.

Another tip would be to use a Chronograph (Chrony) to check the velocity. I found some loads ran a lot hotter than the manuals stated.