Could Castro Have Swum Carrying A Thompson

Castro propaganda claims in 1948 he swam from Cayo Confites to the mainland carrying a Thompson. This seems so improbable that I would like to question if anybody heard of anybody doing anything like that.

BTW this came in the mail today:

This came in the mail today:

MY SHIP THE U.S.A. CONWAY--DDE 507

by

Henry Agueros

My ship the U.S.S. Conway--DDE 507, went into the Bay of Pigs on the night of the 19th, 1961. We

picked up about 20 to 30 Brigadistas that where swimming out to us.

Many were wounded. We put a small boat into the water and went in after them. Some of us jumped into

the Sea to help pull them out.

When we had them on board and could find no more we pulled out of the area and headed to Guantanamo

Bay.

These were Brave men and every sailor on my small ship did all we could for them. We felt so angry at

out Govt. We were right there with a fleet of ships and planes and could have blasted the Commies to

hell if only we were given the ok.

Armando Triana, Pelayo Garcia, Manuel Vasconcelos, Jose Aguila........these are some of the the names

of the brave Cubans who I remember from that night so long ago. I was only 18 yrs. old and from that

night on I became a supporter of everything Anti-Castro.

The Govt. of the United States betrayed the people of Cuba on April 17th, 1961. The American and Cuban

people are still paying for that betrayal. ViVa Cuba Libre!! Abajo el Castro-comunismo asqueroso!

Henry Agueros

I have often wondered how many Thompsons, BAR's, 1919's etc Castro has in his arsenal form that travisty. Wouldn't it be nice if one day that we could get them back.

Fidel Castro is pictured in history as a giant of a man. In reality, he's a coward and a murderer who has kept an entire nation under his thumb since 1959. Even during his tenure in La Havana University, he could not win one single election to any of the student held offices. He promised to re-instate the Cuban 1948 Constitution (Similar to our US Const.), have free and democratic government with free elections...............you know the rest.

The Thompsons and Reisings and other US arms that Castro inherited were part of Fulgencio Batista's weapons. Those are all gone, finding themselves as armament for subversive groups throughout the globe thanks to El Comandante.

As I am from Miami (86% hispanic), many of my gun buddies are cuban exiles...we were talking about when the big turkey kicks the bucket, if it would be possible to go there and buy some of the goodies from the armories...it is only 90 miles from Key West, well within the range of my boat. It sounds like it may be a bust...if he gave all the good stuff away already. We were sure that Batista had a nice stash of US weapons...I read somewhere that there is an ak47 for every person on the island (in the armories) It will be interesting to see what develops there when he is gone.

artie in miami

artie

I think that when the big turkey turns over in hell, another turkey is gonna grab control, hope I'm wrong. My self and a couple of buddies went to Costa Rica in 1983 for some R&R. We went to a farm that was near the Nicaraguan border and spoke with a couple of ranchers who had two select fire Fals with the Republica de Cuba emblem on the receivers. The campesinos claimed that they exchanged two cows to the Sandinistas for the Fals. Hum, I wonder how a Cuban Fal from Batista's order from Fabrique National in the late 1950's made it into the Comminist Sandinista's hands?

My father was with US Coustoms in Miami from after the war until the early seventies. I remember him talking about wharehouses full of firearms destin for South America; some legal, some illegal. Back then, (pre 68) any of the firearms Customs seized went on the auction block annually; unfortunately I was too young at the time to take advantage of the situation. After 68 they had to destroy everything, Dad was not a "Gun Guy" by any means. He said he fought in WWII and lived with a gun for 4 years every minute of the day and didn't want to have to carry one or clean one again, BUT, he said it even made him sick to have to destroy some of the guns that they destroyed. It is such a shame that even today our government is destroying valuable pieces of our history.

QUOTE (Larrydaley @ May 15 2007, 01:38 PM)
Castro propaganda claims in 1948 he swam from Cayo Confites to the mainland carrying a Thompson. This seems so improbable that I would like to question if anybody heard of anybody doing anything like that.

Getting back on track.... Having never been to Cuba, I don't know how far of a swim it is from "Cayo Confites to the mainland", but why do you think it improbable that he could've done it? A number of people have swam (swum?) the English Channel between Dover and Calais (about 20 miles.) Moreover, packing a 12 lb TSMG in grease and burlap and slinging it over one's shoulder shouldn't create too much of a burden for someone in reasonable physical health.