Nac 1928 A1

I just bought a 1928A1 tommy with serial # S-534XX NAC. As far as I can tell all parts are marked correctly except the spring guide doesnot have an S mark, all othe parts are correct according to American Thunder. The receiver is parkerized, barrell is finned and blued, and dull lite bolt. Complete with FBI case and solid brass cleaning rod.

I have been told this is from a batch the Numerich unknowingly bought from a Kilgore or miller? who bought the parts and tooling from savage. Is this true and where can i find the story on that small batch? This would make it a WWII tommy i would guess. Would this be worth more than the average tommy? I paid $16k. It also looks as if it has never been fired. But the receiver is parkerized. I didn't think savage did that, or did Numerich do that, or was this refinished? There are no military marking on it though. It does jam alot (see jamming tommy post)

Thank ya'll

Opinions vary widely concerning NAC marked TSMGs. These can be guns that appear to be completely matching and unaltered to others that are obvious parts lash-ups.

I can only speak from experience concerning my own NAC marked gun, a Bridgeport Savage '28A1 that came to me in the early 90s from its only previous owner of nearly 40 years. I believe that old George Numrich did lay his hands on and sell several (if not many) mint M1928A1s as I have one. It passes every test for originality, and appears to be exactly as it left the Savage factory in late 1941.

My gun has ordnance bomb, RLB, and GEG stamps, which constitute full military ordnance district acceptance markings. The gun became US property when these markings were applied. The US never released any TSMGs for civilian sales, other than to law enforcement entities, yet Numrich sold this one to a sporting goods store in Tennesse in the mid 1950s. How did he acquire it, and many like it? I dunno, but I understand that the 'NAC' was added to the serial for legal reasons.

You have an earlier serial than mine, which is No.S-3329xxNAC.

What would be correct for for your serial number range gun would be a buttstock with no cross bolt, checkered pivot, safety, cocking knob, and "bright" bolt. There are other items, but these are the easiest to check.

If the bolt is blued, it is a late war replacement item. All '28A1s left the factory with the nickel steel "bright" bolt.

The finish originally specified for new '28A1s was the dulite (blued) finish. If a finish is parked, the gun was refinished at some point. Originally, Savage heavily sand blasted their receivers to kill any shine or gleam, so that what may appear to be parkerizing is actually the original dulite finish, as is the case with my gun. Look at the inside of the receiver; this will tell the story as the inside was not sand blasted. Bluing would appear normal and shinier here, where a parked finish would still be as dull as the exterior.

The serial on the frame should match the serial on the receiver EXACTLY for font, depth, spacing, and even minor imperfections as these would have been applied with the same factory dies. If there are any differences, even if they are minute, the frame has been serialed to match the receiver at a later date. Electro pens were never originally used.

Hope this helps!

Edited by TSMGguy

Welcome to the Board Zultar!

If you could, read the FAQs above. There is a post about FOIAs. If you could, file for a FOIA. I have done so on me S15043.

TD on this board can share a lot of detail about the NACs, and hiis story is still evolving!

Enjoy the gun!

thanks for the info so far. Mine is parkerized and with a colt blued barrel. no military markings, prob a replacement bolt- its dulite. but most interesting is a 'water stain' appearence around the serial numbers both on the upper and lower parts. What this means may be the clue.

Hi Zultar,

Welcome to the Board.

If you will post pictures of your Thompson on the Board, I believe you will receive some definite answers to many of your questions. Close ups of the receiver and lower frame, especially around the model and serial number area would be very helpful. If the finish is parkarized, it is not original. Close up pictures of the barrel may tell if it is a Colt barrel.

Question: Does it appear any handy work has been done in the area around the serial numbers? Again, pictures will be very helpful.

One of your problems may very well be the kinked recoil spring. However, a recoil spring guide without a makers mark could also be a problem (spelled non-GI part). I suggest changing both and taking it for a test fire. I would not shoot it without a GI marked recoil spring guide. This alone may solve all your problems.

Generally speaking, Thompsons with the NAC suffix after the serial number that appear to be original other than the the NAC markings are original GI Thompsons imported and sold by Numrich Arms Company. Based on the description in your two posts, your Thompson may or may not be one of these original Thompsons. Without pictures, it is just too difficult to give an opinion. Several members of this Board have a genuine interest in this area. We just need to see what we are talking about.

Thanks for the post.

• 2 weeks later...