Few More Questions

soshoresig

M1A scope mount will not work on a BM59 sorry. Mags are available at Reese and on the net for around $50-75ea.

There are a couple scope mounts for the M1 garand that will work on a BM59 also.

Yes pics would be best or a description of the markings on the left side rear of the receiver .

Might say something like Berben corp NY,NY ,Benet Afton ,VA, or Springfield Armory Geneseo,IL.

These are the real BM59's typically found . Some are known for rewelds are Golden State,Santa Fe Arms ,National Ordnance, Federal Ornance. If you see these markings beware and look closely, as lots were made from scraps welded back together .

Ofcourse then there are the Design built rifles, that guys like myself have that are made from M1 Garand receivers that were either annealed and machined then reheat treated or just machined with carbide cutters and had BM59 parts kits installed. These are typically fine and I know of 3 other gentlemen other than myself that have these and I have not herd of any complaints,but all were either built by professional gunsmiths or Master machinists.

All are very proud of them and love them !

I hope this helps .......

Mike

The heel is marked Springfield Armory Geneseo,IL. So this means it's definately not a reweld? Did Springfield use cast or forged recievers? I'm glad to hear about the mags, there's nothing worse than having a nice gun you can't get mags for. I owned a VEPR(Russian AK variant) in 308 that I just could not get mags for and I ended up selling an otherwise great gun because of the lack of magazines. What's the best scope mount set up for these rifles? I see someone mentioned an SK mount, would that be for an M! Garand?

Thanks for all the info

Here's the story as I got it from Bob Reese on the Springfield marked heels - when Bob bought all the tooling and parts from Beretta, he got forged receivers that were not yet marked - they had to be marked, so they were stamped 'Springfield Armory' but they are Beretta forged receivers. The way I found out, was in 1982 I got in 2 BM59 Nigerian models for a customer. I needed to find out if they were really Beretta and got a letter from Bob in writing as to their Beretta heritage - I gave this letter to the individual who purchased the rifles (remember, this is 1982). So as to my answer on the facts as I know them, yes, it is a original BM59, not a welded up receiver. Santa Fe did actually get in some real BM59/62's from Beretta back in the mid 60's before the GCA of 68 - not many, but a few and are quite rare.

If you are going to use a scope mount, you might think about a S&K mount - you need to remove the rear sight and replace it with the S&K mount - no drilling or machining is necessary - just put the BM parts in a bag until you decide to sell the gun, then put them back on. I think there's a BM on gunbroker right now that says it has a Springfield mount - it's the same as a S&K mount, made in PA. All you need to do is decide what type of rings you're going to use on the mount, me, I went with 1" rings and a Zeiss scope. 20 round magazines are available, it's the 10 and 5 rounders that are very difficult to find in original factory condition. HTH

I went today and held it. I put in an offer and will know tomorrow if I'm the proud owner. It is absolutely unfired(won't be for long) NIB. Springfield Armory on the heel and nothing on side of reciever. Every part that I saw marked was PB 59. It comes in the box with 2 20 round mags, owners manual and warranty card. It has grenade launcher and site, bayonet lug, tricompensator,correct 2 bar folding stock and winter trigger. Is $2000 about right?

Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

ps: Are the chamber and/or bore chromed? I forgot to check

Edited by soshoresig

2K is a fair deal - dealer is probably breaking even. Not chromed. When you take it out to fire it, if it doesn't chamber the next round from the clip, you're probably going to have to adjust the gas valve, but we'll worry about that only if it's a problem. Good luck on the purchase