Re-pop Drums...

Back when these were new, I had the mfgr. number a 100 rnd one to one of my guns. I have never even tried to put it in the gun......

However, I bought a 50 rnd one of what must be the later run. This one has a small diameter wire tack welded around the circumference of the body. Apparently they felt it wasnt thick enuff. Since I never handled what may have been the first run offering, this one was a bit too thick. Some judicious filing all around cured that. I had to reshape the horizontal guides as they were a bit too fat for the grooves in the receiver. Been a while since I fooled with it.......anyway, didnt work well in the field. Best run I got was about 15 rnds. Stove piped many of the 35-40 loaded.

I had to move all my display shelves to install a new furnace/AC last month. All my drums, including that one, had to be moved. Local retired police chief & wife are friends........he has come down w/parkinsons......she inherited a 28 Ford. Local Old Ford enthusiast got it running for them. Yesterday we took a Tommy gun to their garage so she could pose with it in front of the 28 car in a period costume. I took that drum for the photo shoot.

Today I looked it over again......compared it to a NY version I have. Just cant see why it wont work, it is not that much different.

Any experience/comment with these......???

PJH

Pictures of drums.....pictures of '28 Ford & "Bonnie" are in her camera, not mine.!!!......right is early NY......other is repop, I can see no mfgrs claim other than Auto-Ordnance, New York. The addition of the small wire on the edge repop body of the one on the left makes it a bit thicker than the NY version. I suspect they did that because the raised tabs on the reverse side are not deep enuff to engage the mag. catch properly. Even with the wire, it still does not engage well.

PJH

post-1918-0-00704300-1564828458_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-31800500-1564828481_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-80609900-1564828501_thumb.jpg

Edited by heckinohio

I've got 2 drums identical to yours......pretty sure they are West Hurley (with the solid shaft).

Both were extremely difficult to install in an AO '28A1, and fed poorly. I bought them cheap enough to use for display, but decided to make them work.

Ist issue was feeding.,,,,.and I tracked it down to the sharp edges on the back of the fingers of the rotors ;......that would cause them to hang in the recess/on the rim of a case about every 5th or 10th rd. I polished/slightly beveled the back of the fingers, and it solved the problem

2nd issue was the horizontal ribs on the front/rear of the magazine, and their fit into the drum slots in the receiver. I had to round/contour the edges of the rib on the back of the drums...simple enough

The rib on the front was way out of spec on both though.....it protruded too far from the front cover, and was angled slightly downward....causing the bottom of the drum to be angled slightly forward when you could actually get it into the gun.

To fix it, I busted the spot welds at the top of the cover (that holds the plate the front horizontal rib is on), slightly reshaped the rib until it's dimensions allowed easy insertion and proper orientation of the mag, then used a spot welder with tongs I use for AK receiver rails to reweld the plate in its new, slightly lower position..

Both run 100% now......they like 11-13 clicks though

post-1216-0-64636300-1564845688_thumb.jpg

post-1216-0-17039400-1564845705_thumb.jpg

Edited by villafuego

The one you're having issues with is a West Hurley L-drum. My suggestion is to relegate it to collector item only status, and to get one of the newer Taiwanese repro drums. You will save yourself some heartache, and the cost will be minimal.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

10-4........seems I have managed to make the drum work from suggestions here. I have several original drums, carry two w/corrected dents for field use. My recent field trip was kinda a bust as I failed to pick up a quantity of ammo when Donna distracted me during loading. Will go again toward this weekend.........mowing pasture & retrieving old car tomorrow & Weds.

PJH