1921 Colt Military Thompson Markings (Project Gun).

I don't understand the theme of these "Colt in WWII" threads.

It's obvious that the number of Colt Thompsons used in WWII were a tiny fraction of the total. Less than 1%, if any were used at all.

Your intransigence about Colt TSMGs appearing in combat in WWII after being confronted with irrefutable evidence to the contrary is amusing. The more you squabble, the more focus is concentrated on the limited numbers of the original 15,000 Colt TSMGs deployed in WWII. Keep up the good work!

I could probably fit the barrel for blanks and afterwards, register it with a Form 4 trust so I could pass it down to my children. After doing research, I understand that is legal for individuals to make their own guns (NON-NFA), they just can't ever sell them. I would do the all the finer machining myself however, like--Doug Richardson himself--I am partially blind. I suffer from myopic atrophy which is a form of extreme nearsightedness. It makes running a milling apparatus a tricky and potentially dangerous endeavor. I am capable of shooting safely at reenactments, but have difficulty with very small print or minute/precision type machines.

Thanks for any advice and I will continue to keep you posted.

--Michael

Michael,

To obtain a Thompson semi you currently have 2 choices:

Buy one from Kahr . Plenty of info over on the semi-auto section.

Build your own using the PO receiver you have ordered. Check out this site: http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0

If you live in a state that allows NFA short barrel rifles with the proper tax stamp from the ATF you can have the 10.5" barrel on your semi.

Under certain circumstances your home built Tommy could be sold.

Joe

Arthur,

You'll have to supply some actual information for me to be intransigent about before I can be intransigent about it.

The source of all this pain and anguish here is the fact that I refused to attach great historical significance to the use of a handful of Colts in a giant global war.

I questioned how many Colts were actually used in WWII. It appears to be a very small number.

TD posted up some actual information about it. He showed that there could have been as many as 4,700 in various military inventories at the start of the war.

But we don't know what happened to those guns or what use those guns were put to, if any.

So that's data point number 1.

We know that Savage and AO made something like 1.8 million Thompsons for the war and they saw widespread use.

So that's data point number 2.

We know the month and year that Savage started making Thompsons and we know they made a large number of them (like 500k) in 1940 and 1941.

So that's data point number 3.

In addition to the above information, we also have the usual baseless speculation and bickering that is of no use to anyone.

That pretty much sums up the current world data bank on Colt use in WWII, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

Those data points show that Colts were somewhere between 0% and 0.26% of the Thompsons used in the war.

Since I'm such a dastardly rapscallion, I call it insignificant. Unless somebody scrounges up some new information, I'm done with this topic.

Arthur,

TD posted up some actual information about it. He showed that there could have been as many as 4,700 in various military inventories at the start of the war.

But we don't know what happened to those guns or what use those guns were put to, if any.

We do know what use Colt TSMGs were put to in WWII. Or do you think Irish Guard Paddy Tellin had the only Colt TSMG in the battles of Narvik, Norway? That you cling to your "if any" obdurate position is bizarre. Do you imagine Colt TSMGs will decrease in collector dollar value and Savage/AO TSMGs will rise if you exclude the Colt from even making a cameo appearance in WWII?

While we are at proving which Colt TSMGs were used in what WWII battles, could you tell us how many Savage/AO TSMGs have been documented by their specific serial number as having been used in a specific WWII battle?