Beijing/ Shanghai- China

I'll be takeing a trip to China ( Beijing / Shanghai ) and I would like to know if anybody out there knows

if they have any places to shop for military parts pieces,pictures and stuff,maybe even thompson stuff,who knows maybe I'll get lucky .

See Ya

Tino

This might be of some help. In Shanghi there's stores called "Friendship stores." When I was there, they sold antiques at a very good price.

Short of contacting some retired General from the PLA, they are the only people who would (might) have info. Just remember, it's a few years and lots of money in the Graybar hotel to bring parts into this country. Manuals, books, etc. might be OK.

Roadking

Click the links for a photo and link to early posts from another board member Philsteen, of a M1923 in People's Museum of Chinese Military Revolutionary History in Beijing.

I would suggest if you could visit there I understand there are more than a few Thompsons. If you can talk them into it get the serial numbers of the COLT Thompsons in particular the M1923, Gordon Herigstad would appreciate it I am sure.

Michael

M1923 in People's Museum of Chinese Military Revolutionary History in Beijing (with incorrect XXX mag s/b XX)

Link to original posts

Thanks for the tips, Poprivit,Sig ( Michael ) I'll check them out.

Tino

I just finished up a six-month stint in Hong Kong with frequent trips to Beijing. I'll share the following observations.

- People's Museum of Chinese Military Revolutionary History in Beijing - great collection. Very large assortment of weapons - American, Japanese, some German, Chinese and other countries. American weapons are largely Korean war captures. There are many, many, many Thompsons on display in various conditions. Included is what may have been a 1923 Thompson, or possibly a Chinese copy of one. Unfortunately, 99% of the signage is Chinese, and there appeared to be nobody there who spoke any English. If I went back, I would hire an interpreter for 10-20 bucks to help me through. It would be neat to get some of the serial numbers off the guns - there are 21s, 28s and a bunch of M1 and M1A1s.

- China North International Shooting Range, Nankou, Changping County. I did not go here but I did make some inquiries. This range is located about 90 minutes outside of Beijing. It used to be (in the good old days) you could shoot mortars, RPGs, flamethrowers here. Post 9-11 you can't use the heavy artillery, but you can use full auto AKs, M16s DHSKs and similar. They also claim to have a "Type 89 Tommy Gun", whatever that is. Ammunition is (like everything in China) dirt cheap. Your hotel concierge should be able to arrange a car hire for you to get there. Generally, a car can be had for around 500 RMB per day (that's about $60) -- that's the black taxi, not the red taxi or the audi limos (you will understand the distinction when you get there). +86 11 977-1368.

- Not gun related, but you do not want to miss the Hangjiao Market, also known as the Pearl market -- it's not featured in too many tourist guides, but they sell North Face jackets (not counterfeits) for about $20-25 US and many other good things. Basically, if it's made in China, surplus copies are shipped to Hangjiao and sold to tourists.

Hope that helps.

philasteen - great report. Could you tell for sure that one or some of the Thompsons at the people's Museum of Chinese Military Revolutionary History in Beijing were made by Colt? Will you be going back any time in the near future? Thanks, Tom

Unfortunately the War Museum uses a thick greenish glass over all the guns which obscures all fine details. Signage may have been helpfulbut as stated it was in Chinese. I believe some of the Tommy's were Colt, some were A/O or Savage 28, and many were M1 or M1A1. By memory there are about 25 in the second floor gallery and another 10-15 in the Korean War exhibit room. My Asian business is concluded and I don't see myself returning anytime soon, but this museum is a must see for any arms lover.

Remember to do the 'Pearl Market' and 'Silk Market' in Beijing for general stuff but go to the 'Dirt Market' for antiiques, lots of fakes but some good miltaria stalls.

I'll try to catch up with ya in Shanghai at the end of your trip!

sigma

QUOTE (philasteen @ Apr 12 2004, 10:37 AM)
They also claim to have a "Type 89 Tommy Gun", whatever that is.

The Chinese calender is way different than ours so figure out what year they are in and go back from there. If the gun was made in 1928 lets say (chinese year 89) we add 76 years that would make it chinese year 165 this year. Once you know the current year it is easy, if year 89 was 60 years ago you can you can bet this (type89) is probably an M1A1. They measure time is blocks from a particular event. Like the Japanese. In Japan, if the gun was made in the 99th year of the current rulling houses reign it would be called a Type 99 rifle. This is where all of those goofy Japanese numbers come from.

Thanks a lot everybody, this gave me a lot of information for my trip to China. This will be a one shot deal there,so I want to make the most of it. The world is very global now and information is shared by everyone , to and from every country now. The history of the Thompson is shared by all of us no matter

where it comes from.

Thanks

Tino