M-1 Thompson for sale on GB-New Listing

Seller advises:Thompson appears unfired, also says the Mfg of this Thompson is Harrington and Richardson on the form# 3. Starting bid $19,500.00

# 485434012

It's definitely been fired. The finish is worn from the travel of the chargeing handle/ actuator and on other high points. It appears to be a correct late production M1 to my inexperienced eyes.

I'm lusting after it!

I thought Harrington & Richardson only produced the Reising M50 & the M1 Garand in WWII what did they have to do with any WWII Thompson?

Did Harrington & Richardson ever REWAT guns? I don't remember how that all works, but isn't that considered manufacturing? Also, how is it anyone could consider a WWII model Thompson to be unfired? Still, nice gun. I like the non-crossbolt stock and matching upper and lower. R

I remember the scam going on where they changed one item on the form 4 each transfer... eventually a Thompson looking gun was called a Sten...

beware. This one needs research!

"Harrington and Richardson" Who is that? What time period was the gun put together?

Harrington and Richardson is a commercial gunmaker that made some military firearms also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%26R_Firearms

During WWII they made Reising machine guns. They made excellent quality Garand rifles after WWII, but not during WWII.

They never made Thompsons

Edited by buzz

I just looked at the seller's other auctions, he has some really super duper hardware for sale

pretty impressive class 3 items

He has some beautiful Colt M16 variants...

I find it strange it has a M1A1 grip mount.

I'll bet it's gone through at least one rebuild.

The seller emailed me a picture

the gun has a S on the bottom of the receiver in the usual spot, that means it was made by savage

if this gun is not a reweld or rewat, it looks like it would be an excellent buy for somebody

I already have one so I'll not be buying it

Edited by buzz

The gun came out of the H&R auction in the 80's. Somehow the name got on the F3. It's a museum gun and if I were looking for one, that would be it. I've shot with this guy a few times and everything I've seen of his is +++A1+++. He is also a great guy. Since I'm not looking I won't go look.

Bob D

Spoke with the owner and he thought the gun receiver and parts were bought post war and put together by H & .R. He didn't see any military markings such as a P proof mark on the barrel. Here are some more pics he sent: Can anyone ID the markings?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Found this on line (wish I had a book) Bottom pic stamping looks like GEG -All Savage M1 and M1A1 submachine gun receivers and frames were also marked with the encircled GEG acceptance stamp of Auto-Ordnance’s civilian inspector George E. Goll.

Buzz you were right a Savage gun.

Edited by Thompsonlover

what H&R auction would that be?

can you provide any details?

Bankruptcy auction?? I think they went out of business in 86

Buzz, would a savage receiver say Bridgeport Conn?

Edited by Thompsonlover

as far as I know the difference between savage and Bridgeport M1 type guns is the S on the bottom of the receiver

the other posters can provide a lot more information about the minutiae of these guns

as far as I know the difference between savage and Bridgeport M1 type guns is the S on the bottom of the receiver

the other posters can provide a lot more information about the minutiae of these guns

Found this online - Savage made the majority of M1's. Early Savage's had the New York address on the receiver after 80K the Bridgeport address was used.

savage M1's and M1A1's have the "Full Auto" phrase on 2 lines...whereas, the Bridgeport guns have it on a single line. that's the quickest way to tell on the frame. on the receiver the quick way to tell is by the inspector...GHD inspected bridgport M1A1 factory guns, where as RLB then FJA inspected the M1/M1A1 savage guns. i'm not exactly sure when the inspector's changed over from RLB to FJA, my gun is 78,7xx and is FJA inspected.

if I remember correctly all the M1's where made by savage. as the Bridgeport made guns had trouble passing the cycle rate test in the M1 timeframe...or at least, the inspector was pickier on cycle rate. by the time Bridgeport guns where passing inspection, the M1A1 alteration was in effect and the Bridgeport made guns where update with the A1 updates.

this may make it sound like I know what i'm talking about...but in reality, I read this in Frank's book. hopefully I am remembering correctly.

Edited by renderman