M-1 Thompson for sale on GB-New Listing

Makes me feel warm about my similar and adulterated ReWAT M1!

lightguy,

You did the right thing. I bought a Colt for less than that a few years ago.

When the next one comes up you won't have to worry about that guy.

21 K was the correct time to quit.

Jim C

Thanks for the encouraging words.

IMO the days of the 20K Colt are over.

Another Savage M1 just got listed for $27,500 on Sturm.

All original and amnesty registered .

I know the gentleman that is selling it- I've bought several FA guns from him- and he is one of the most honest dealers I have ever met.

If WW 2 M1's are going for $27K what's that doing to the price of the 1928's and Colts ?

Asking for and getting are two different things.

but I do think that USGI M1s and M1A1s are undervalued relative to the rest of the market.

Getting your hands on a USGI Thompson of WWII vintage for $20k is a heck of a deal.

From a practical standpoint, it's as good of a gun (or better?) than the 28 model.

I know the gentleman that is selling it- I've bought several FA guns from him- and he is one of the most honest dealers I have ever met.

If WW 2 M1's are going for $27K what's that doing to the price of the 1928's and Colts ?

It's a beauty!

Yes It is, LSU. A few more pics would be nice but If I were shopping for an M1, I'd hop on a plane to take a closer look at this one. I'm sure the 27K GB auction shook it loose. If the gun is what it appears to be, I hope someone here, who's looking, at least gets a bid in...

Bob D

Edited by bug

Thanks Devil Dog for the compliment. I just thought I would throw it out there. It's really a nice gun for someone that wants a unmolested original gun. I have only run 500 to 1000 rounds through it in 5 years. I might have to give gun broker a shot!

post-3346-0-16247300-1433202074_thumb.jpg

post-3346-0-18149100-1433202095_thumb.jpg

post-3346-0-25217100-1433202149_thumb.jpg

post-3346-0-91878600-1433202176_thumb.jpg

Edited by etest1971
  • Upvote 1

IMO, If a person knew he was only ever---ever buying only one Thompson, it would have to be a 28 model.

Having a Thompson and not being able experience a drum dump would be unfulfilling to say the least.

Darryl

IMO, If a person knew he was only ever---ever buying only one Thompson, it would have to be a 28 model.

Having a Thompson and not being able experience a drum dump would be unfulfilling to say the least.

Darryl

Wholeheartedly agree that every Thompson fan must do a c drum dump at least once. It takes at least a week for the smile to go away.

Ron

The irony of the situation is that if Colt had made the M1A1 version in 1921, the gun probably would have been an immediate success story, everybody would have been clamoring for them.

It's a lot easier to sell an excellent $500 SMG to the army than an excellent $2500 SMG.

I own both a 28 and M1A1 model.

I bought my M1A1 because the guy who sold me my 28 was selling the M1A1 as well and offered me both at an excellent price.

I told the guy I was probably going to end up selling the M1A1 eventually since I didn't really want both.

That turned out to be a lie, you'd have to pry the M1 out of my hands and kick me in the face a few times to get it away from me.

When you hold an M1 type Thompson in your hands, it gives you the same impression as holding a Garand.

It's immediately obvious that it's a superb quality, heavy duty weapon.

It has pretty much the exact same handling and shooting characteristics as the 28.

There's nothing about it that's cheap or "tinny", it's not a lower quality weapon than the 28, it's just not as fancy.

For example, the 28 has a finned barrel, which is more fancy, but actually adds nothing to the performance of the gun.

In some ways the M1 model is a better gun by being less fancy. The Lyman sight is a work of art but I greatly prefer the M1A1 sight.

Anyway, the point is that the M1 type Thompsons are an amazing gun, go ahead and buy one without even a twinge of doubt.

I to own several of each model, the M1 varieties are built like tanks when compared to the finely crafted original 21 & 28 models.

If you're into the gangster era or just like the finely crafted guns and would like to experience drum mag dumps, there the choice.

If you're a WWII enthusiast and seek a no holds barred tank of a gun, then the M1's are your ticket.

It's just a matter of what your into, both are great guns.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

You can't go wrong buying any Thompson (as long as you get it for a good price).

It's like choosing which Ferrari you want to buy or what NFL cheerleader you want a lap dance from.

My point is just that the M1s are overlooked by a lot of guys.

It's a similar gun to a Garand or M1 Carbine, an extremely well-made and well designed weapon.

It's not a cheapo, its a Rolls Royce of a gun

The 1921 Thompson is in its own universe.

There are very few military and police guns that are designed and built like a custom-shop sporting arm.

They literally spared no expense on the fabrication of the 1921.

That kind of thing is irresistible to gun collectors.

Edited by buzz

What I'll add is, in my opinion, the '21 was not made as a weapon of then-modern war. I think AOC and Colt designed and made something with too nice of a finish and excessively tight tolerances for that role. The M1928 and M1928A1 were not substantial changes to the original design.

Experience in the field and high demand forced changes that resulted in the M1 Thompson and later the M1A1 Thompson. "How can we cut costs and speed production while still fielding a reliable weapon?"

Edited by LSU Tiger

What I'll add is, in my opinion, the '21 was not made as a weapon of then-modern war. I think AOC and Colt designed and made something with too nice of a finish and excessively tight tolerances for that role. "

Sorry but this is wrong. The development started with the aim of being a trench weapon for the raging war in Europe, but the model would not be ready before the armistice and was left sitting on the dock. The gun further refined slightly to the model of 1921 where a market was sought during the interwar years. It's construction, fit and finish is constant with other weapons of the time (think Bergman, Luger, 1911, 1918 etc etc).

Was the design dated by WWII? Sure and the company was working on reducing costs with the existing design. What they failed to recognize was that the age of sheet metal guns were being developed.

Good stuff but the Thompsin wasn't born in 1921 when the world was recovering from hostilities in Europe. It was being developed in the teens in hopes to serve during WWI. There's a great history on the development of the 1921 in the Ultimate Thompson Book that walks through the patents the Annihilatior models, 1919s and ultimately what would become the 1921.

Ron