Dillinger Related Items at Auction

Yes I will.

Mainly the 38 Super going to auction. This is one of two Colts taken off JD when he was arrested in Tucson. They caught him outside the gang's rented house of 2nd Ave. He was carrying this 38 Super and a Colt 45 auto when arrested.( never know when you need two Colt autos) There is a very strong connection between this gun and HS Lebman, as the Fort Worth gun dealer that supplied the Dillinger 38 Super, also supplied a 38 Super to Lebman that was found converted to a Colt Mini submachine gun at the Lincoln Court Apartments. This was the site of St Paul Dillinger escape using Thompson # 7387, in May 34.

This same Fort Worth gun dealer had supplied a Thompson to Kit Kelly ( Machine Gun Kelly's wife) that was connected to the Urshal kidnapping. ( Gordon probably has that # )

The 38 Super and the Colt 45 were both awarded to two of the arresting officers there in Tucson Jim Herron the 38 Super, Swede Walker the Colt 45.

The two pistols were more then likely purchased new by Dillinger, on his way to Tucson from the Chicago area, OR possibly from Lebman himself and the FA Wincherster 351 , all recovered in Tucson.

So, who's got the Colt 45 automatic ?

Whew !

OCM

17737422_6.jpg

28060926.jpg

Edited by OCM

HS Lebman was a San Antonio dealer located at 111 S. Flores Street I believe, right across the street from the Bexar county Courthouse. Last year the building underwent some changes to outfit it as a Greek eating establishment and in the basement they found the remains of Lebman's test firing area along with bullet holes still in the walls. Local news had a story on it and the history of Lebman's customers.

I was talking to Bill Helmer Saturday about that very story. Both wished they would of gone into more detail with the story on the basement, photos things like that. Lot of gun history went thru that basement, the likes of Baby Face Nelson, John Paul Chase and possibly others.

According to the links I posted both guns went for the minimum estimate of $35,000 plus the buyers premium of $6650; the handcuffs didn't sell...

I wonder what the selling price would have been had they been offered at the time of the relase of the movie Public Enemies.

Regards,

Tecolote

I heard tell that Mr. Depp had purchased a lot of the stuff the Dillinger family was selling, at the Heritage auction, sometime after the movie came out.

If the Tabloids and TMZ folks are correct, he makes 20 million a picture, X how many pictures per year. That being said, the tab for the Dillinger 38 Super would be chump change.

The popularity of the 1930s outlaws seem to be cyclic. The last big push, was after the Beatty 1968 Bonnie & Clyde movie and continued for many years.

Ever need to check the popularity of the 30s outlaws, ask an under 30s something " kid" what he thinks of the likes of John Dillinger.

John who ?

I spoke to a college history class many years ago, about this subject. The students were genuinely interested.

A new Bonnie & Clyde film is due out and a "special" coming up on TV this December. The dysfunctional couple always seem to spark interest.

Hell getting old on all sides of things....

OCM.

Edited by OCM