First Post, Long Time Lurker, New Toy

Well I have frequented these forums a long time, but I finally figured it was time to post. What better way to start off on a new site than with a new toy. Thanks for all of the wonderful info about the stg 44. Just got this one last week.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/jmivorm/toys/stg.jpg

I am green w/envy http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

I am pretty new here as well. Must warn you - I am a devout fan of WWII German goods, but started hanging out here... got a copy of Mr. I's book (AT II), bought some magazines, trying to stay away from the replica Crosby's now. You know where it all leads.... This is a nice place - very civil compared to some!

Welcome to the club!

The MP 43/44 in what ever form/marking is a fun gun to shoot. I've been shooting one for 25 yrs.

Owned/shot my first on in the late 50s.

How are your magazines marked? Who made yours and when? Is it matching? If so I would suggest that you do what I did with my MP 43, get another bolt & op rod to use and don't take the chance of breaking the matching parts. I actually changed everything to non matching parts so the only thing original is the bbl & rec. Put the matching parts away. Course this is a much more expensive move now than it was 25 years ago, but the guns are also over 100 times more valuable (I paid $125.00 for mine).

Sarge

Sarge,

The mags marked mp44, and is a clear spray finish over bare metal with a makers mark of cxt.

The gun is all matching numbers and very, very low mileage. It was made by sauer in 1945 and is a mp44/stg44 overstamp with the mp44 only visible under the best lighting. I am the 3rd owner counting hitler and the gi that accepted it upon the soldiers surrender. I probably wont shoot this one a lot just because of the condition. If ammo was cheaper I might get some spare parts and blast away, but I am a belt fed man at heart and I hate spending $500 a case for any ammo and I despise reloading for machine guns. I did buy 2 cases from coles at the creek so by the time that is gone I can decide what to do. This is my first stg 44 and I cant help marvel at the history in my hands when I play with it.

By the way, the site is great.

jm

Edited by jmann

The mfg code on the mag is cxt?

What is the mfgr code on the StG?

You've got one I'm looking for, an MP 44 remarked to StG. Very good find!

Even if you don't shoot it a lot - buy another op rod! That is the one part most likely to break on the 43/44s.

Don't be surprised if you have functioning problems with that ammo. It is loaded a couple of hundred FPS slower than the WW 2 German ammo and some guns don't like it. With your gun being in near new condition that is a possibility.

Sarge

You are right, it does not like the coles ammo. The gun is just a little to tight for it. I am not sure I want to run it enough to loosen it up either.

The mfg code on the gun is ce. The mag is cxt. I was told by a mp44 guru (the one that does the serial number studies) that the mag was very rare.

He said it was also rare to have a stg marked gun with an all blue finish, but he looked in his studies and found another one made by the same mfg that was also an all blue overstamp and the two guns were within 150 units of each other. I dont know much about them, but it appears I sort of dumbed into a pretty good one.

Welcome to the MP/STG44 club. Historice weapons and fun to shoot. Actually I enjoy spending the winter hours in my workshop loading ammo for it.