Jump to content

Thompson SMG .45 Ammo Blanks


Recommended Posts

Primarily, I use Richard Satterfield for my blanks; he's old-school, so he doesn't have a website, but here's his email: blanksguy2001@chartermi.net

 

Unlike Joe Swanson's hot Hollywood blanks, his are a lighter load, so it doesn't punish your Thompson's bolt, and he's got good prices per 50 or 100 round bags.

 

Robb at Atlantic Wall Blanks has always done good by me, also: www.atlanticwallblanks.com

 

I use his whenever Richard is out of brass.

 

Hope this helps. ;)

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We convert a lot of semis into blank guns using the legal non-SBR 10.5" barrel

we make. We provide adaptors to the customers wishes. I would say 2/3 of the people use

Swanson, 1/3 Atlantic Wall.

Swanson blanks are LOUD and very powerful, I think louder than ball ammo.

Atlantic Wall are no where near as powerful. To give you an idea of the power

difference (and these adaptors are for use with our special barrel only) a Swanson

adaptor would have a hole 0.242" and Atlantic Wall 0.171".

I know about Satterfield as well but so far no one has requested adaptors for his

blanks.

 

Bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problem. :)

 

Richard recommends the same adapter apertures as Robb at Atlantic Wall (they are actually friends in the business); in fact, Richard has tried to lead interest in the reenacting hobby to establish a standardization of the loads and aperture sizes, so it's a no-brainer for folks to use his (or anyone else's) blanks.

 

Joe's make a nice flame, but I will not use his in my personal weapon, because of the heavy recoil and overly-loud reports.

 

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'll have to blank adapt your barrel; the standard ammo ball lead that travels down the barrel creates the blowback pressure needed to actuate the bolt in sucession...without something in the barrel end to restrict the pressure of a blank cartridge's powder load, the cartridge will not fire, nor will the bolt cycle.

 

The only way I know to bfa (blank fire adapt) a Thompson is the 'barrel tap and allen bolt' method; I've done a couple of Tommys (and an M1 carbine), and it's not that difficult if you have some handiwork skills, and take your time.

 

You basically drill and tap the end of your barrel to a depth of about 1", then heat (to remove the temper) and drill out several allen bolts to various aperture sizes...once you thread the drilled allen bolt it into the end of the barrel, it will give the blanks the back pressure needed to cycle the gun.

 

Keep in mind, although it doesn't harm the barrel or negatively affect the live-fire operation (it actually re-crowns the barrel, or so I've heard it argued), it will negate any future claims of a barrel in 'pristine' condition.

 

Just don't forget to remove the allen bolt before you live-fire!

 

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twenty years ago, it was like pulling teeth to find out about blank adapting Thompsons. Now, collecting ideas on blanks is similar to belly buttons--everybody has one, and everybody is very attached to their own. And, generally speaking, everybody's works for them.

 

Except for a few short deviations trying other blanks (way dirtier than Joe's or shaped differently and so had feeding problems) I have used Joe Swanson's exclusively for 21 years.

 

My 1921A and 1921AC have both been rebarrelled, for use with the allen screw technique. I didn't de-temper the screws, as they resist burnout and last longer in their original form, but it does take a number of carbide-tipped drill bits to put the gas holes in them. I used about 2 bits per each 5 allen screws drilled. Probably 20 plugs with various orifice sizes were initially prepared, doubling and tripling up on the sizes best suited to my guns, in order to have spares for eventual replacement.

 

With a variety of hole sizes at your disposal, choosing the right one for your particular gun/bolt/recoil spring combination allows you to tune the recoil cycling to within acceptable parameters. The bolt stops every time you release the trigger, but still doesn't travel completely to the back of the receiver at full recoil. One of mine works best with a 13/64 hole, and the other with a 14/64.

 

For a while I used a JC Earl insert for my AC, but found the allen screw technique to be easier overall, and also applicable to the non-compensated gun.

 

Thousands of rounds and 60-80 reenactments later, my experience and that of others within my 30's group has left us still very happy with Joe's product. We order in fairly large quantities, so as not to pester Joe, who supplies movies, with small orders. I do not know if he has a minimum order size, but we try to be courteous and remember that he makes his living doing this, and we are just hobbyists.

Iowa car flame.jpg

eArthurOhioAug02.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

And Jonathan Davis and the rest............... Known Jonathan for years. Got a nice picture of Dillinger's nephew holding Keith's Thompson in the Gibsland City Hall building at one of the festivals I attended. Many moons ago.

 

 

Reenactor....you mentioned "30's group", how's Cary and Michelle doing nowadays? Are they still with the '34?

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if Richard Satterfield is still making blanks. I have used him for the past two years for M1 blanks for reenacting but his email or phone number doesn't work.

Bob...I got your message, but figured I'd post here, in case anyone else needs it....this is the address I always use:

 

Richard Satterfield (US Army, RET)

PO Box 1836

Bay City

Michigan 48706 - 7836

 

And this is the email I use to contact him: blanksguy2001@chartermi.net

 

Hope this helps; I just bought a sack of 100 from him about 4 months ago.

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...