NFA registry request

sprat

Hi

Im looking for a attorney who handles and/or specializes in NFA request, I would like him to submit a FOIA request for a set of serial numbers

also I assume any attorney can handle this so if you recommend a out of state attorney I believe that will work. also if you have done this in the past what did the attorney charge for such service

thanks

Jack

Guest title ii

Hi

Im looking for a attorney who handles and/or specializes in NFA request, I would like him to submit a FOIA request for a set of serial numbers

also I assume any attorney can handle this so if you recommend a out of state attorney I believe that will work. also if you have done this in the past what did the attorney charge for such service

thanks

Jack

This is something you can do yourself and it will save you money. Check out this link: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5587

I submitted a request a couple of years ago, got an acknowledgment but no further response, and then followed up in writing with a copy of my original request and still no answer or response. So at least in my experience it was been like a "black hole." Hopefully, however, at some point I will get a response to my request.

You got sound feedback on subguns from BRMC and Frank. To get registration info for other people's firearms the atty will have to show the ability to act on behalf of the registrant. The "attorney exemption" to release of tax information only exists in pockets of the internet, not in actual law or practice. The executor of the estate can do this free of charge and the end result will be the same, good or bad.

I sent a couple in on guns I own several years ago, if memory serves correct I received a response on both in about 60 days. Due to the amount of redacted information I have not bothered sending in any more.

I submitted a request a couple of years ago, got an acknowledgment but no further response, and then followed up in writing with a copy of my original request and still no answer or response. So at least in my experience it was been like a "black hole." Hopefully, however, at some point I will get a response to my request.

• 3 months later...

I got my reply today. It's pretty interesting. Includes importation papers from 1946 as a WWII trophy. Then there's nothing until a transfer in 1985. I wonder why nothing in between. I think the FOIA information certainly adds to the history of the gun.

Guest title ii

I got my reply today. It's pretty interesting. Includes importation papers from 1946 as a WWII trophy. Then there's nothing until a transfer in 1985. I wonder why nothing in between. I think the FOIA information certainly adds to the history of the gun.

Perhaps it was held by the veteran who brought it back for that time period between 1946 and 1985. Would you mind sharing your foia number on the letter you initially received after filling your request? I'm interested to know what number in requests the agency is currently at. This number is usually near the top of the letter. Would start with the fiscal year the request was filled followed by your request #. Should look something like this 2014-XXXX.

Perhaps it was held by the veteran who brought it back for that time period between 1946 and 1985. Would you mind sharing your foia number on the letter you initially received after filling your request? I'm interested to know what number in requests the agency is currently at. This number is usually near the top of the letter. Would start with the fiscal year the request was filled followed by your request #. Should look something like this 2014-XXXX.

PM sent.

I guess the importation approval in 1946, which was by the IRS, constituted the original registration of the gun?

Thanks LR. It looks like my "war trophy" then was owned by the same person from early 1946 to 1985, when he apparently passed away, and then the next owner had it in his collection until 2010 until he apparently passed away. Understanding the history makes it all the more interesting.