- - - - -

Class Iii Gunsmiths

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tedgun1911

tedgun1911

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Anrique American firearms, especially Colts and Winchesters, also WWI &amp; WWII military; old firearms accessories, advertising, catalogs, other promotional materials; old cartridge boxes (preferably filled); gun<br>books;

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:58 AM

Looking for Class III gunsmith
Does anyone know of a decent Class III gunsmith (to work on a WH 1928) in the six-state New England area (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont)?

If you don't know of a gunsmith, do you know anyone who does??

Edited by tedgun1911, 30 August 2004 - 11:59 AM.

#2 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

You've got mail!

#3 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

PK from this board is not in the area you are looking for but you will not find a better TSMG gunsmith in the country IMHO. He is in Colorado and he can fix any problems you may have with your WH. He is always busy but the quality of his work is excellent and his rates are reasonable. He has done several projects for me including the complete overhaul of a WH 28 and I was extreamely well pleased. You could not go wrong using his services. Call him and discuss what you want done. He is very personable and easy to work with. You won't regret it.

#4 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns&lt;br&gt;Golf when not shooting or reading this board&lt;br&gt;Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)&lt;br&gt;My dogs (screw the cat)&lt;br&gt;My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:18 PM

What Chopper said ....

#5 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

I cannot hesitate to recommend Damon over at Tommygunner. I have worked with him quite recently, and found his work to be outstanding! Not only in quality of the work performed, but the time it took to complete was far less than expected, and his prices are very reasonable. I couldn't have been happier with the results.I was also fortunate to obtain one of his Stock Slides, and again, a quality product at a near bargain price. Just my .02. (In fact, I will present a detailed description of the wok performed along with pics very soon)

#6 tedgun1911

tedgun1911

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Anrique American firearms, especially Colts and Winchesters, also WWI &amp; WWII military; old firearms accessories, advertising, catalogs, other promotional materials; old cartridge boxes (preferably filled); gun<br>books;

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:30 AM

Chopper,
Appreciate the recommendation, but I think for now I'll stick a little closer to my geographic area.

#7 tedgun1911

tedgun1911

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:38 AM

Lionhart,
Thanks for the advice. I did log onto Damon's site, but it said that they don't do any work on NFA guns (unless I misread what they were saying).
I'm going to call them anyway, just to be sure. Thanks again. tongue.gif

#8 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:32 AM

Tedgun, welcome to the boards!

Make sure you go back and read all the posts about the WH guns and those who've had work done on them. You see a common denominator. If you wish to be assured of outstanding quality of work, why not just pack it up and ship it west? No big deal if that is what you are concerned about (I get the impression you want to be able to deliver it in person). The Thompson is certainly not just any gun, and the WH problems are completely understood by a chosen few. If it were my gun (and I have been in your exact position) I'd spare no expense in sending it to someone who knew blindfolded what to do rather than a respected "general" gunsmith professional. IMHO...

PS: I didn't think those NE states even allowed machineguns anymore! biggrin.gif

#9 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:41 PM

Ted: In New Hampshire there is one of the best with decades of experience, Stan Andrewski, (603) 746-4387. His address is 741 Battle St., Webster, NH 03303. Good Luck!

Mike Hammer wink.gif

#10 tedgun1911

tedgun1911

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

Hey everyone:
I spoke to Damon at TommyGunner this morning and they DO work on Class III guns. It seems that Damon had finally got permission from NY State to do Class III work, and had forgotton that the disclaimer was still on his website. Sorry if I confused anyone.

He's a really nice guy, by the way, and had his hands full with his five-month-old baby girl while we were talking. I think she was hungry. tongue.gif

#11 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:27 AM

Ted,

Thanks a bunch! Yea she is a handful sometimes. Just for the record...it is my partner Tom Hansen who carries the FFL and has the permission. I am strictly limited to being his employee in the situation. But yes, we can perform work on Class 3 goodies except for DD's. We are only interested in working on Thompson's though. Guess I better get to updating the website! Was a pleasure speaking with you and I hope you and yours have a great weekend. biggrin.gif

Best,
Damon