Trick To Remove Semi West Hurley Grip Mount?

Bought a west hurley semi today. With plans to make it a close semi Gi clone. Took the barrel off with no problems. But the grip mount is being a b@tch!

I put the receiver btw two blocks of wood in the vice, and put a 3lb slide hammer hooked on the grip mount, nothing. Wouldn't budge. So I tried putting the grip mount bwt two blocks of wood in the vice and hit the nose of the receiver with a block of wood and 3lb sledge, nothing. I've tried pb blaster, heating it up, and still nothing.

Did they do something from the factory to make those things stick in there? Anyone got any tricks. It's being a real butt.

What a coincidence - I just spent the afternoon and evening converting

one of Doug Richardson's grip mount pullers to work on 3/4" wide grip mounts.

You can see in the photo how it works - you clamp the grip mount between

the rear plates using the 6 bolts. Then you use the slide hammer to pound

it off. I just did two Kahrs - both of which were glued/epoxied at the factory

and were very tight. But Doug's puller (even though I had to make the rear

half) worked perfectly. You can't use the puller the way Doug makes it

because the bolt pattern is too close to fit a 3/4 wide grip mount. Maybe

he could change that - I think a wider bolt pattern would work with bolt 1/2"

and 3/4" grip mounts. Then again, Doug doesn't miss a trick so there might

be a technical reason. I don't know how much this helps but this tool or one

like it will prevent damage to the receiver. You can hammer off even the most

stubborn grip mount in a few minutes.

Bob

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_1403.jpg

I think the receiver would have to vised or restrained really well in some fashion. Maybe a 2x ripped and cut to length to fit inside the bolt cavity and clamped in a vise. C clamps could be used to keep the receiver from jumping off the 2x.

I'm always been leary of clamping a receiver in a vice and distorting the side walls.

Looking at DR's tool makes me grimace in pain. I know I'd get my hand pinched between the weight and bolt head some how.

If your making a home made version, a barbell disc weight would work as the weight.

The longer the rod, the more force can be applied.

Food for thought,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Finally got it off. I welded a long rod on the end of the grip mount to form a circle so I could hook my slide hammer to it, then I had to heat it with a butane torch for about five minutes and still took some elbow grease but it came out. What a pain in the butt.

I threw that grip mount into the field as far as I could throw it. I don't know why Kahr/west hurley didn't use a 1/2'' grip mount from the beginning. Stupid if you ask me. Would have save me a lot of work.

Was there any adhesive in the slot? If not, heat (expansion) may have done you more harm than good.

-Darryl

those Wh grip mounts can be tight, but they always came loose with me by placing the grip mount is a GOOD vise and using a block of wood /hammer to punch the receiver of the mount, no damages.... except for the frip mount