Dewat Belt Fed

TEXASMP40

This is a general question related to belt feds and DEWAT's.

Is the entire DEWAT registered or just the right side plate?

For instance, could you remove the right sideplate from something like a registered DEWAT Maxim with a smooth water jacket and put it on a parts kit that has a fluted water jacket?

james m is correct. The DEWAT status (tax free transfers) is based on the "unserviceable" state of the firearm; unserviceable being the appropriate term for said tax exempt transfers, as there is no such term DEWAT in either the GCA or NFA.

Hanging a good parts set on it would remove it from the definition of "unserviceable" which would reqire an approved F-1 for a nonlicensee or filing of a F-2 by a licensed maufacturer who pays SOT..

What can be done with a DEWAT; is it just a wall hanger?

If just a wall hangar, why are they so expensive?

Thanks for the info.

In unofficical terms you can re-wat a dewat, if it was properly registered. You pay the tax, file the forms, get the approval, and you can return it to a serviceable firearm. This is why the cost nearly as much as a registered transferable.

-wwiifirearms

Edited by wwiifirearms

This is a general question related to belt feds and DEWAT's.

Is the entire DEWAT registered or just the right side plate?

For instance, could you remove the right sideplate from something like a registered DEWAT Maxim with a smooth water jacket and put it on a parts kit that has a fluted water jacket?

Going back to the original question.

Assuming you now own a registered MG.

Does anyone know if the right sideplate is the registered part or is the entire gun?

Can you take the right sideplate off and put it on another parts kit?

See post #3

What model of firearm are we discussing? If a Maxim, Vickers, 1919/1917 type, the side plate is the controlled item and "parts is parts".

Check out page 68-69:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p...-chapter-10.pdf

Edited by The Lone Ranger

just out of curiosity, which sideplate on a Maxim is the registered one? I've heard from some people that it's the right one, and from others, that it's the left. Which one really is it? I'm pretty sure it's the right one from what I understand, same goes for a Vickers I believe, but clearly I'm not positive. Hopefully someone here can finally straighten this out for me.