Rip Dick Winters

Major Winters Passed away on Jan 2, 2011, and was buried Sat. Jan 8. his family wanted a private funeral service, I guess that's why the news was only released now.

He lived about 15 miles from where I do, I never met him, but many of the older members of our local gun club knew him very well.

His health was failing in recent years, and a close friend(a retired SMG) would take him to the local VA.

Every day I read the obituarys, and I look for the WW2 vets, it is alarming how many are in every week.

R.I.P.

Edit to correct burial date.

Edited by GUNGUY45

I attended the memorial service for Stephen Ambrose at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans some years ago.It was actually quite a small group that attended with lead speaker Pres. George H.W. Bush. I met a number of WWII vets, paratroopers, rangers, flyers, including Sen. George McGovern whom I talked with, all were once interviewed by Ambrose for his books and they were there to pay tribute to him. The one man that I really wanted to meet though was Dick Winters as I had been extremely impressed by his leadership qualities as portrayed in the series "Band of Brothers". I asked around "where is Dick Winters? Someone finally told me that Mr. Winters wasn't feeling well and didn't make the trip.

I soon after contacted Winters and sent him a get well card and expressed how sorry I was not to get to meet him and I included a program for him from the Ambrose memorial. Major Winters was kind enough to send me several personally signed and inscribed "8x"10 photos of himself in uniform in Holland in 1944 and in training camp in Georgia in 1942. he even sent me a photo of actor Damian Lewis who protrayed him in the T.V. series, Lewis was posed in battle costume standing under the very same archway in Holland that Winters himself posed under some 56 years earlier during the war.

This was a man who hated war and really didn't want to relive it or even talk about it, but I think Ambrose convinced him that his story needed to be told and rememberd by future generations so they might learn from it. Thank you Dick Winters, I hope this nation will continue to produce fine leaders like yourself, I for one will never forget you. :(

Mike Hammer

Another of our Greatest Generation gone. God bless him and his family. Rest in peace with your other "Band of Brothers".

Kemosabe, thanks for the article on Maj. Winters. I am greatly saddened by his passing as it seems to mark the end of an era. Now it's my generation that will be be the next to pass. I can only hope that the efforts by his generation and mine will not have been in vain. This is a wakeup call to the the youth of this nation, always remember, freedom is not free, it comes with a price, you have to earn it, you sometimes have to put everything on the line for it. Major Winters did, and the last line on his inscribed photographs to me were, "Hang Tough", inspiring words to live by, I intend to do so.

Hang Tough!

Mike Hammer