What Ammo Do You Use?

If this already exists here, I am unable to find it, so having apologized in advance, if needed, for that:

How many shoot only factory ammo in their Thompsons?

How many shoot mostly reloads?

How many reloaders shoot unplated cast lead bullets in their cutts barrels?

Thanks to all who respond.

If this already exists here, I am unable to find it, so having apologized in advance, if needed, for that:

How many shoot only factory ammo in their Thompsons?

How many shoot mostly reloads?

How many reloaders shoot unplated cast lead bullets in their cutts barrels?

I've ran every thing you can think of in my WH 28, Lead, loads up the barrel. Jim

Thanks to all who respond.

As a general rule:

I shoot only plated Berry or Rainier out of comp guns. 28A1 TSMG and Reising M 50. My reloads.

I shoot only cast lead out of non comp guns. M1 TSMG and M3 GG. My reloads.

When a club member wants to shoot any of the above guns I insist on quality factory ammo. This would be FMJ.

Jim C

Out of my Colt Thompsons only factory new Rem, Win, or Federal FMJ. Out of my Savage M1A1 just about anything except Corrosive stuff. I never let anyone use their own ammo I always supply it.

What 45 ACP on the market today is corrosive?

Out of my Colt Thompsons only factory new Rem, Win, or Federal FMJ. Out of my Savage M1A1 just about anything except Corrosive stuff. I never let anyone use their own ammo I always supply it.

Old military stuff someone dug out of their junk drawer.

This chart will give you an idea what is and what isn't corrosive - http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/30-06in...mmo-nctable.htm

Your Thompsons started life firing corrosive ammunition, if you clean them properly you will not have to worry about the effects of corrosive ammunition.

I shoot FML and round nose lead reloads. Do your homework and there's virtually no leading problems. It does skank up the compensators, tho'. Eh, nothing in life is free, you do what you can and spend as little as you see fit. I shoot a lot more because of the lower cost of RNL... it's a trade off.

Haven't found any cheap sources of 7.62x25 non-corrosive, but I am finding more and more boxer primed 7.62x25 brass on the range. Guess I'll be reloading those eventually. Same with 40 cal... no cheap cases of that around either, but at least it's non corrosive boxer. As far as 9mm, I'm set for life... maybe a couple lives.

Out of my Colt Thompson's only factory new Rem, Win, or Federal FMJ. Out of my Savage M1A1 just about anything except Corrosive stuff. I never let anyone use their own ammo I always supply it.

I dont really like Rem UMC but their .45 stuff seems to work OK, The UMC Rem in 9mm wont run any of my other sub guns its just to under powered. As far as a no brainer goes Win or Fed 230, RN, FMJ is the way to go. I only use reloads if I am totally familiar with the ammo and I am sure it was reloaded properly by a expert, No one Else's ammo or cheap reman stuff goes down my tommy...

Regards

Bob M.

Edited by GUTTERRATT

There are several threads on this.... but I am too lazy to search also!

Win white box is too low powered in my Thompson. S&B seems to work the best. Rem UMC works fine too. Federal worked when they remembered to put a primer in the case. Most military corrosive stuff is great, yeah, you gotta clean it soon. I waited one day to clean the (WH) drum that was in it and it was corroding already. Fortunately I did the gun right away.

What I would like to see is anyone finding a real good deal on a case or so of ammo. Please tell us where it is....!

I've got well over 10K rounds of Wolf Lac and Poly through my Savage 28. Runs like a Swiss watch. It might be a little dirty but I clean it every time I shoot it. That's usually 500 to 1K rounds per trip.

Bob D

As a general rule:

I shoot only plated Berry or Rainier out of comp guns. 28A1 TSMG and Reising M 50. My reloads.

When a club member wants to shoot any of the above guns I insist on quality factory ammo. This would be FMJ.

Jim C

Maybe I should have added that the reason for shooting Lead, in addition to cheapness, is lack of bore wear. You could probably shoot 500,000 rds of lead with no noticeable rifling wear. The reason for not shooting lead in a comp gun is, you will spend more time cleaning the comp than the rest of the gun.

The reason for using Plated bullets is , next to cast lead, they are easiest on the rifling. Since no lead is exposed, you will find no lead in the comp, altho you will find fouling.

The full metal jacket are hardest on the rifling and, if they have exposed lead at the base, they will leave lead deposits in the comp.

There are several threads on this.... but I am too lazy to search also!

Win white box is too low powered in my Thompson. S&B seems to work the best. Rem UMC works fine too. Federal worked when they remembered to put a primer in the case. Most military corrosive stuff is great, yeah, you gotta clean it soon. I waited one day to clean the (WH) drum that was in it and it was corroding already. Fortunately I did the gun right away.

What I would like to see is anyone finding a real good deal on a case or so of ammo. Please tell us where it is....!

If I were paid for all the hours of laziness I have spent looking through old threads I could afford a case or two as well.

Much of what I found posted on this subject predates the ammo "shortage" and subsequent price increases, so I was most

interested in what everyone was using since that time.

Thanks again for all replies.

As a general rule:

Jim C

Maybe I should have added that the reason for shooting Lead, in addition to cheapness, is lack of bore wear. You could probably shoot 500,000 rds of lead with no noticeable rifling wear. The reason for not shooting lead in a comp gun is, you will spend more time cleaning the comp than the rest of the gun.

The reason for using Plated bullets is , next to cast lead, they are easiest on the rifling. Since no lead is exposed, you will find no lead in the comp, altho you will find fouling.

The full metal jacket are hardest on the rifling and, if they have exposed lead at the base, they will leave lead deposits in the comp.

Useful to know about the exposed lead base full jacketed bullets, as that would seem to include most of the major name 230FMJ.

The full plated lead bullets seem like the best of both worlds; minimum leading, maximum barrel life, and no lead bullet fumes on an indoor range (still have the conventional primer compound fumes, of course).

wwI, I was at the MWCA show today.

Tried several emails you, but nothing went through.

Also PM'd you here, but didn't hear back.

There was another twin cities Tommy enthusiast at the show; would have been fun to get together. Maybe next time.

Sorry to use this thread as a message tool, but I hope we get to talk.

Edited by mnshooter

Back in the day thats pretty much all they had was lead wasn't it ?

I believe all .45ACP was jacketed from the start.

And, thanks to all for the replies.

I shoot Winchester white box and Federal through my WH M1, as well as my own cast bullets, when I have them available. I shot cast bullets through it almost exclusively for many years.

mnshooter,

Military 230-grain .45 ACP ammunition has always been FMJ, to my knowledge, but examples of early, commercial lead ammunition exist, including the ammunition fired in the 2 Colt Thompsons used during the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I don't think the bullets from the St. Valentines Massaver were cast lead. This is from the Collection information at http://www.bcsheriff.org/?dept=44&pid=622;

"

Microscopic identification was made of the bullets fired from each of the test guns. Identification was made of the ejector piece from gun #7580, Exhibit "A" and of the irregular firing pin from gun #2347, Exhibit "B". The cartridges fired in this case from both Thompson submachine guns at the Massacre scene were of the United States Cartridge Company. They were manufactured only between July, 1927 and July, 1928. The jacketed bullets were an alloy of copper and 5% zinc and were given a nickel wash which gave them a shiny appearence sometimes mistaken for steel.

"

There also was a letter stamped on the copper jackets of the bullets that led investigators as to the manufacturer. This from memory of the presentation made at the Thompson collectors Association meeting in Summer of 2009. I actually got to hold both of the Thompsons. It was a definite highlight for me.

I shoot plated bullets with Rainier being preferred for competition. Lead bullets give off a lot of vapor smoke that limits visibility at certian times of day or with no wind.

Paul : -)#

Edited by Paul Winters

I don't think the bullets from the St. Valentines Massaver were cast lead. This is from the Collection information at http://www.bcsheriff.org/?dept=44&pid=622;

"

Microscopic identification was made of the bullets fired from each of the test guns. Identification was made of the ejector piece from gun #7580, Exhibit "A" and of the irregular firing pin from gun #2347, Exhibit "B". The cartridges fired in this case from both Thompson submachine guns at the Massacre scene were of the United States Cartridge Company. They were manufactured only between July, 1927 and July, 1928. The jacketed bullets were an alloy of copper and 5% zinc and were given a nickel wash which gave them a shiny appearence sometimes mistaken for steel.

"

There also was a letter stamped on the copper jackets of the bullets that led investigators as to the manufacturer. This from memory of the presentation made at the Thompson collectors Association meeting in Summer of 2009. I actually got to hold both of the Thompsons. It was a definite highlight for me.

I shoot plated bullets with Rainier being preferred for competition. Lead bullets give off a lot of vapor smoke that limits visibility at certian times of day or with no wind.

Paul : -)#

Paul,

I stand corrected on the SVDM .45 ACP ammo. I always thought the bullets were lead, based on their looks. I have seen the "S" markings on them, and they appeared to be lead, but apparently the color was a nickel wash. I have an unopened box of the same type of ammo downstairs, and it does indicate "FMJ."

I know what you mean about the SVDM Thompsons. I was lucky enough to put an L-drum through #2347.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com