Thompson Vs Ak47

Well, it was time for a face off between the thompson and the ak47. I went with a range of about 25 yards with the clay targets figuring thats a nice reduced size target to represent a life sized torso somewhere around 75 yards which would be a nice intermediate range suitable to put both guns on sort of an equal playing field. Loaded 25 rounds and stacked up 8 or 9 clays in a rough staggered line. I was going to shoot at the same number of clays with each gun, but misscounted as I laid them out, thus there were 8 for the thompson and 9 for the AK. And, I only shot each gun once like this.

The AK won hands down. The thompson only broke 2 of them, knocked 3 more down (close but not close enough to break them) and completely missed the other three. The AK knocked them all over, but only 2 were not broken (hitting 7 of them). Rate of fire? Sights? Energy of the round? When I shoot like this I really don't look at my sights, at least conciously, I personally concentrate on the bullets hitting the targets (or near them) and hose around the gun for effect.

So, it is with some sadness that I report the overall effectiveness of the AK47 when comparing it to a host of other machine guns in this one particular test model. Hate to see the Ol USA lose like that in a head to head competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z7pZhKc05U

Dan

Apples and Oranges!

;)

I think the AK47 has a certain kind of coolness factor, Maybe not as much as the Thompson but that is where they are similar to a certain extent,

Bob

Apples and Oranges!

;)

Very much so. Two weapons designed for two different purposes, not a fair comparison. One fires pistol ammunition the other rifle ammunition, one is a submachine gun the other an assault rifle.

Yes of course, apples and oranges as far as guns, but not from the point of view of the target, if you followed my other recent video post, this was just a fun summertime shooting exercize so see what kind of gun would perform best in a given specific situation. Sometimes its fun to compare the apple to the orange... The comparison is of course what can actually be hit while hosing around full auto fire.

21 actuator, just the way John Thompson wanted a TSMG to be...

M16 (full auto, not 3 round burst) actually worked very poorly for me. Don't have an MP5 handy to try...

And yes, a burst on each target, or even semi auto fire (one shot per clay) would be more efficient but not as fast (or as fun).

MANY years ago , on one of my first take-out-the-scouts shoot , I sat 12 new soda cans out at 25 yds in a staggered row . Fired 10 3-round bursts from the hip with my suppressed M3 greasegun and popped 10 of those suckers one after another. Retired from shooting the rest of the day and let them have at it. I'm still a legend in my own mind . Have not been able to duplicate that again ( usually lucky to hit 2-3 ), and I don't even try whenever on of those ( now grown ) scouts are around.

Repeat the test a few dozen times ( and you can't have fun doing it , it's now work ) and report back .

Chris

Dan,

Don't let the results get you down. I believe that if you repeated the test a number of times the results would even out. At 25 yds the type of ammo makes no difference , the the eccessively high rate of fire of the 21 would be a disadvantage. And old JTT didn't want his gun to fire at 1000 rpm, he wanted it to fire at a speed that the US Navy would buy.

Thanks for the video.

Jim C

My interpretation is:

1 - that you shoot the AK better than the Thompson which means you need to spend more time at the range with the Thompson.

2 - the clay pigeons break easier when the 7.62 hits the dirt then when the .45 hits the dirt due to the faster muzzle velocity.

BTW, nice video. ;)

Edited by JimFromFL

“The comparison is of course what can actually be hit while hosing around full auto fire.”

I believe that is a valid test. If we need to shoot zombies we need a good gun and good ammo.

I’ll bet a good head shot with a 45 ACP round will get a Zombie every time just fine.

If you look at the video, the Thompson made ONE pass and the AK made THREE passes. Could that mean you had three chances for each clay with the AK and you had ONE chance to hit the clay <with the Thomspon>? Could mean that the Thompson misses hit the dirt more than the clay and the AK did not end in the dirt? I would change the 1921 parts to 1928 speed and try with three passes and try it again.

Robert

Edited by roertmcw

This would be more of a "fun" comparison, more than anything. You could put the Thompson up against a M-16A1, FN FNC, SA-80, HK-94, or any current assault rifle and get the same results!

Test the Thompson against it's contemporaries (MP-40, PPSH-41, Sten, M-3) and see how it fares!

You could even test it against a modern SMG (MP5, SW-76, MAC-10) and see how it stacks up!

Remember, the Thompson is 20's technology. Comparing it to modern Assault Weapons is like bringing your 5.0 Mustang to a Formula One Race. It will get around the track, but the other cars out there will do it so much better!

:rolleyes:

P.S...I love my Tommygun, but have to be a realist!