M50 Intermittent Firing

jhm

I'm having a similar problem with mine. Get a couple to 5 or 6 rounds then a light primer strike. Broke both the hammer and firing pin springs yesterday. Broke the firing pin as well. I had a spares for each so replaced them all and tried again. Same problem however theh bumper plug has been mutilated as well as the hammer spring guide. This is my 3rd hammer spring guide. They only last a couple magazines in my gun. I see now that they require a bumper spring plunger and guide. Gunpartscorp is sold out of the bumper plug plunger so if anyone has a spare let me know. Seems that this is a critical part on the two piece hammer spring guide/bumper plug. Not sure where these little parts fit as the manual I have is the same as Numerich's, not clear. I have ordered all new parts from Numerich that they have and will upload pictures after lunch so show you guys what is happening.

I'm having a similar problem with mine. Get a couple to 5 or 6 rounds then a light primer strike. Broke both the hammer and firing pin springs yesterday. Broke the firing pin as well. I had a spares for each so replaced them all and tried again. Same problem however theh bumper plug has been mutilated as well as the hammer spring guide. This is my 3rd hammer spring guide. They only last a couple magazines in my gun. I see now that they require a bumper spring plunger and guide. Gunpartscorp is sold out of the bumper plug plunger so if anyone has a spare let me know. Seems that this is a critical part on the two piece hammer spring guide/bumper plug. Not sure where these little parts fit as the manual I have is the same as Numerich's, not clear. I have ordered all new parts from Numerich that they have and will upload pictures after lunch so show you guys what is happening.

I realize that the Reising is a rather fragile firearm, but your parts breakage is really excessive. Seems like your gun is getting hammered to death. Are you shooting heavy reloads or using it for a bullet hose??

At this rate you will destroy your Reising.

Maybe if you post some good pictures of the internals someone here might notice something wrong.

Jim C

Actually this problem can be explained by the one piece plug. If no perfectly parallel to the reciever . The hammer movement will cause very uneven spring pressure to be applied to the sides of the guide . Even to the point of breaking the guide off , usually at the base. The guide is then free to move up and down the reciever . This can catch the spring , kinking it , breaking it , or allowing the base of the spring to move into the path of the hammer , again kinking , bending , and cutting it . The loose spring chunks can damage the hammer , plug , guide and reciever . If the problem is in the reciever threading not being in line , continual plug replacement will just lead to continual failures as you are treating symtoms and not the desease.

The two piece plug / guide with the recessed center hole to allow hammer spring base capture is the cure .

Not sure of the "plunger " you speak of . There is only the cap plug and guide. The only "plunger" back there is in the back of the reciever and it grabs one of the little dimples to hold the plug tight . Usually they never give any trouble.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've learned a good bit over the last few days. I ordered a new bumper plug and hammer spring guide. Surprise, the bumper plug has a recess in it that accepts the hammer spring guide. With the poor photos in every place I've looked I would have never known. When I bought the Reising several years ago the hammer spring guide was solid and separate from the bumper plug. Well, that explains the mashed up hammer springs and mutilated rear bumper spring plug face. I kept filing, sanding and polishing this surface to no avail. Now I have a repro plug from Numerich I've center drilled my original bumper plug to accept the hollow plunger and have no problems. I had two 30 round bursts yesterday with my Christies and no problems with the original 20 rd. mags with 2 to 3 round bursts. Nice to have the old girl fixed for now. I did notice that my new ( less than 200 rounds) firing pin was bent about 3/4" back from the tip just slightly. I chucked it up and removed 1/16" from the rear and polished and have not been able to re-test fire other than 5 rounds. Seems that they don't need that little bit on the back that is getting hammered. Hope that solves the broken firing pin problem. Since it's already bent I can't be totally sure as it could break at the bend.

As far as ammo goes, I am shooting what many here likely remember from around 2002-2004 was the spam cans of WW2 USGI 1942 mixed headstamp. Never had one not go bang as long as the primer was dented. 98% of it is 1942 with the rest being 1941. Been soaking it in soapy water and then tumbling it for reload. Seems the WW2 brass is a bit thicker than modern brass. Either way, I have a couple thousand rounds of it just about ready for reload. All I have is lead SWC so wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I do and thanks all here for the helpful suggestions. It is too bad that now after seeming fixing one problem there is another with no visible reasons why. I loaded up 50 rounds of lead 200 grain roundnoses over 5 grains of unique. They gave me 2-3 rounds and then failures to fire. I would eject the case and did see light primer strikes. So I cleaned the chamber and barrel out and started over with the WW2 ammo that worked so well before. Same problem but actually worse. I polish the burrs on the bolt each cleaning and also repolish the bumper guide and hammer. I'm using TW-25 that works suck magic on my other finicky guns and cannot think of what else to try. I am getting rubbing on the top forward parts of my magazines, both original and Christie's mags. Are the rubbing on the mags possibly related even though it was doing that before when I had success. One last thing, I put another firing pin in I bought from Numerich and it is doing the same thing so I think I can rule that out. What to do.

Polish out the burrs on the bolt each cleaning ????? There sould be no burrs. I'm afraid it sounds like the shrapnel from the old plug destroying itself might have damaged the inside of the reciever . Check it out for smoothness . It does not sound well.

Chris

I've heard that Reisings all get scuffy around the rear 1/3 of the bolt at about the 2:00 position as you look forward. The inside of the receiver is very smooth and the bolt glides nicely back and forth with springs out. Could it have something to do with the tops of the magazines getting rubbed. I read somewhere on this forum about the mag rubbing but cannot recall the solution to stop it. Anyone had this issue. It may not fix the main problem but there is rubbing there so at least it would be a start.

Burrs may be an overstatement it is just noticeable rub marks around where the selector is with the bolt installed, or about the 2:00 position as you are looking toward the muzzle. The bolt is mirror polished as is the hammer and hammer spring guide. You know this gun was a blast for several magazines, not missing a beat. Should have known it wouldn't last but I really thought I had figured this thing out. Was my new "favorite" gun. The trouble is now you cannot see any visible, or at least I cannot, damage to anything or broken items so back to square one. I would like someones advice on how they got rid of their magazine rubbing as eventually it will thin out the top of the mag column and crack. I'll keep looking in the meantime, hoping to "endeavor to persevere". Always like an Outlaw Josey Wales line. Thanks for whoever added that further back in this post.

Next time it jams , check to be sure the bolt is fully locked up. If it isn't , the hole in the hammer will surround the firing pin and not fire the gun. A partial hit could give a light strike . Something could be up in the locking slot or there may be a burr there.

Chris

Going on a deburring mission and then another test fire. I'll bet quite a few Reising owners sell these persnickety things. As a Marine and having a Marine Reising, I would love to keep it. On the other hand, it is a tempermental beast at best. When I bought it it was great. A box or two later it had broken the 1 piece guide rod in the end cap and became my headache. I read every post on this site and gave it another try and had success.... for a few mags. I'll keep after it as shooting my fnc is expensive and I have a couple thousand rounds of brass now for the Reising. Anyone want to chime in on how to get rid of the magazine rubbing feel free. Seems each one of these guns has it's own demons to exorcise. No wonder they didn't succeed in the military. And again, some likely did. Just seems to not have any standardization to fit the mil envioronment. My 2c.

Going on a deburring mission and then another test fire. I'll bet quite a few Reising owners sell these persnickety things. As a Marine and having a Marine Reising, I would love to keep it. On the other hand, it is a tempermental beast at best. When I bought it it was great. A box or two later it had broken the 1 piece guide rod in the end cap and became my headache. I read every post on this site and gave it another try and had success.... for a few mags. I'll keep after it as shooting my fnc is expensive and I have a couple thousand rounds of brass now for the Reising. Anyone want to chime in on how to get rid of the magazine rubbing feel free. Seems each one of these guns has it's own demons to exorcise. No wonder they didn't succeed in the military. And again, some likely did. Just seems to not have any standardization to fit the mil envioronment. My 2c.

schaubel777,

Hang in there, hopefully it'll get figured out. I can understand the frustration.

In regards to standardization, I can say the following. The Marine Corps was desperate for a submachine gun when they adopted the Reising. It was not designed for them, and they adopted it because they couldn't get Thompsons. The Marines did not specify that Reising parts had to be interchangeable. If they had done so, it would have taken much longer for H&R to retool and produce them, and the Marines would not have had them in the numbers needed at the time. Reisings were hand fitted at the factory, and all functional tests produced excellent results. When Marines in combat at Guadalcanal began cleaning them communally, the parts got mixed, and they started malfunctioning. When the Marine brass at Guadalcanal realized what had happened, and didn't have the armorer resources to attempt to resolve the issues, there was a now legendary decision made by their leader to dispose of them. This was done while knowing that more Reisings were on the way, and that the learning could be applied to the new guns, and their parts not mixed. Unfortunately, by that time, the reputation of the Reising was tarnished by its first impression.

So, your Reising may have replaced parts and some serious study of its issues may be necessary to resolve them. Keep this in mind as you add new parts...they are not completely interchangeable without hand fitting, and you may introduce new issues to the mix.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I found no burrs and rechecked the chamber and bore. Looks like new. I thought that I would try installing my old broken firing pin spring. It is about1/2" shorter than my new ones from Numerich. Strangely it worked better but still stops after 3-5 rounds. There seems to be a recipe for success that involves a Wolf spring kit and not replacing the trigger spring. I'll have to try that next as all three of my good firing pins havn't helped matters either. Still getting the light primer strikes after 3-5 shots. The ammo is good as it works great in my 1911. Its all 1943 or 42 USGI. Will order a Wolf spring kit and report back.

• 1 month later...

All I have is lead SWC so wish me luck.

Almost all subguns will have trouble running SWC, no matter the caliber. Try some RNL if you want to give it half a chance to work.

Definitely agree with Shattered...You might be lucky, but any failures will almost definitely be attributable to ammo.

David

I had a couple of boxes of factory 185 gr target loads. Ran them through my two Reisings just for giggles . By golly , all 5 mags went through without a hickup , and the reduced loads slowed and smoothed the cyclic rate a bit . You could have knocked me over with a ton of feathers.

Chris