Reising Model 65 Photo Documentation

mikemarvin

Still haven't got around to taking pics of all my Reising 22's. In the process of adding three more Reisings

to the collection. I found a M151 in very good shape, another M65 that might be a commercial version and

I'm working on getting a Model 60 45acp. Lots of pics to take after I get the collection together.

Wow,

Nice additions, can't wait to see the M60.

Whats the serial # range on the new M65?

I'm gonna retake photos of my M65, I don't like the color of the ones I posted here.

I'll retake them outside.

Mike

• 1 year later...

I have a nice Reising M65 that I purchased at a gun auction for $220.00 in a small town in Kentucky. After cleaning out the dust and cobwebs, I wiped the stock down with linseed oil and all metal parts with light coat of gun oil. The rifle looks like it had been stored in a closet for 60-70 years. The stock is near perfect. The rifle has a light Parkerizing. Actually it looks dirty. The serial number is 179X Xs. The stock is the heavier style, but does not have the cross bolts or studs as in earlier rifles. (What’s the purpose of the cross bolts?) I understand the later rifles have a trigger adjustment. If you separate the stock from the barrel and receiver you will see a screw on the back side of the trigger assembly that I believe is the trigger adjustment screw, but I’m not going to touch it.

When I took the rifle out to the farm to shoot, the rifle jammed and shells would stove pipe. Time after time it jammed. I was quite disappointed. I searched some time for a solution to the problem. Then I found the answer… The bolt is heavy and higher velocity ammo is required. I switch ammo from standard velocity to hyper velocity ammo (1500+ fps). I’m happy to say the problem has been solved.

My Reising .22 addiction...I admit I have a problem...I want to own ALL of them :lol: ...Here's what I have so far...

My_Reising_22_Collection_020715_Web.JPG

1. Prototype serial number "F" Model 65 rifle made by Eugene Reising, and evaluated by the USMC for adoption with over 100K rounds fired through it - Marked "Reising .22"

2. Model 65 - Low 4000 serial number range, Stock has been shortened, with comb stock, plastic grip cap, front sight replaced with hooded sight

3. Model 65 - Low 8000 serial number range - Stock has been modified at comb, Fajen buttplate added, front sight and another block in middle of barrel have been dovetailed into barrel, original sight taken off to reveal threading

4. Model 65 - 9300 serial number range

5. Model 65 - Low 10,000 serial number range - Has had bull barrel and scope added, refinished, with "USMC" and "NM" stamped on it

6. Model 165 - Mid 700 serial number range - I need screws to attach the sight

7. Model 150 - 2500 serial number range

8. Model 151 - 1000 serial number range

9. Model 150 action and barrel only - 10,000 serial number range - Bore is nice, outside of barrel and action are lightly pitted - I'll assemble this into a usable rifle if and when I encounter parts

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

The front sight of a M65 is threaded on the barrel , so all of them are if original .

On my suppressed " rat rifle " , the Marine armory removed the front sight and set back it's shoulder and cut the threads further back so as to re-install the front sight further back from the muzzle . This was to give room for the new threads to hold the suppressor on . The front of the sight threads now exposed was turned off and the barrel threaded from the muzzle back to the front sight . They then cut the first few turns down to the base of the threads as a guide so as to not cross thread the suppressor .

I have only seen my rifle and have run into only a few people who have seen one and only one who used one in combat , so rarer than hen's teeth come to mind on those.

Chris

Oh that's a bummer. I was hoping to find one with a threaded barrel like the one in the pictures and throw my .22 can on it For fun, but doesnt seem like that'll be so easy to find.

If you have a late m65 , say above 10,000 - ish or a post-war commercial model , you could have it done at a gunsmith / machine shop . I would not do it to a collectable gun . I had a suppressor made to match my rifle and I enjoy it quite often .

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

My Model 65 affliction is getting worse...Just bought another one in the 5000 range today at the Louisville show. Excellent price at $200 for a Model 65 in the assumed USMC serial number range, but d&t'd, and missing the front sight, bolt retaining slide assembly, and parts of the rear sight. I have almost all the replacement parts...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 4 weeks later...

I added another Model 65 to my collection, and decided to take another group photo. I've included my Model 50 in with the .22's below...

1. Reising Model 50 Submachine Gun, 10,000 serial number range

2. Prototype serial number "F" Model 65 rifle made by Eugene Reising, and evaluated by the USMC for adoption with over 100K rounds fired through it - Marked "Reising .22"

3. Model 65 - Low 4000 serial number range, Stock has been shortened, with comb stock, plastic grip cap, front sight replaced with hooded sight

4. Model 65 - Low 5000 serial number range

5. Model 65 - Low 8000 serial number range - Stock has been modified at comb, Fajen buttplate added, front sight and another block in middle of barrel have been dovetailed into barrel, original sight taken off to reveal threading

6. Model 65 - 9300 serial number range

7. Model 65 - Low 10,000 serial number range - Has had bull barrel and scope added, refinished, with "USMC" and "NM" stamped on it

8. Model 165 - Mid 700 serial number range - I need screws to attach the sight

9. Model 150 - 2500 serial number range

10. Model 151 - 1000 serial number range

11. Model 150 action and barrel only - 10,000 serial number range - Bore is nice, outside of barrel and action are lightly pitted - I'll assemble this into a usable rifle if and when I encounter parts

Reising_Group_Photo_032915_Web.JPG

The database now has 176 entries as of 3/28/15.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Reising_Group_Photo_032815_Web.JPG

• 2 months later...

OK, the addiction continues...

I just added my 12th Reising to the collection. It's another prototype, but not as epic as the first one. This one is serial number "M," and appears to be an experiment with a more sporterized version of the Model 65. It certainly shares characteristics of the later Models 165, 150, and 151.

1. Reising Model 50 Submachine Gun, 10,000 serial number range

2. Prototype serial number "F" Model 65 rifle made by Eugene Reising, and evaluated by the USMC for adoption with over 100K rounds fired through it - Marked "Reising .22"

3. Prototype serial number "M" Model 65 with slightly shorter barrel, and ramp front sight

4. Model 65 - Low 4000 serial number range, Stock has been shortened, with comb stock, plastic grip cap, front sight replaced with hooded sight

5. Model 65 - Low 5000 serial number range

6. Model 65 - Low 8000 serial number range - Stock has been modified at comb, Fajen buttplate added, front sight and another block in middle of barrel have been dovetailed into barrel, original sight taken off to reveal threading

7. Model 65 - 9300 serial number range

8. Model 65 - Low 10,000 serial number range - Has had bull barrel and scope added, refinished, with "USMC" and "NM" stamped on it

9. Model 165 - Mid 700 serial number range - I need screws to attach the sight

10. Model 150 - 2500 serial number range

11. Model 151 - 1000 serial number range

12. Model 150 action and barrel only - 10,000 serial number range - Bore is nice, outside of barrel and action are lightly pitted - I'll assemble this into a usable rifle if and when I encounter parts

Albert_Reisings_060615.JPG

Your thoughts are welcomed on this new rifle.

The database has 192 entries as of 6/6/15.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com