More Bodies at the NFA Branch

http://www.nfatcaforums.org/showthread.php?81-More-Bodies-at-NFA-Branch

For those that are fretting about with the current 9 month after pending waiting period.

-Darryl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Bodies at NFA Branch

Way back when at the December, 2012 SAR West Show...Mr. Ed Saavedra (NFA Branch Chief) stated that NFA Branch would be getting 6 more full time, ATF employee Examiners. Many of us had doubts, but Ed stuck to his guns. I had a long talk with Ted Clutter (NFA Examiner Supervisor) yesterday and this is what I learned:

+ At the time Ed made that statement, there were 12 Examiners. It was assumed that this increase would result in 18 Examiners.

+ We were cautioned by many that the additional 6 bodies might not result in a net Examiner head count increase.

+ Prior to the on boarding of the new Examiners, ATF was able to reallocate existing contractors (about a dozen) to the role of research assistants. These contractors WILL stay in place for the foreseeable future.

+ NFA Branch has lost 3 Examiners to attrition from the time of Ed's announcement to now, resulting in an actual number of current, full time Examiners being 9.

+ As of last week, 3 new Examiners are on board and in place, bringing the head count back to 12.

+ It will take some time for the new Examiners to come up to speed and be productive.

+ It is estimated that 3 more full time Examiners will be on board in October, bringing the projected head count to 15.

+ This assumes that there is no more attrition.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director

www.nfatca.org

Rebecca, an NFA supervisor, told me yesterday that there would be more examiners (she didn't tell me how many) and that the wait times would be going down. I do hope she's right. I would like to get my toys before they send me to a hospice.