Anyone been noticing the lack of availability of ATFonline.gov? I'm not sure what or how this software is supported but it's been circling the drain over the past few weeks, and today seems to be totally unavailable to log into.

The inability of the government to effectively implement ANYTHING, is really astounding. While very well intentioned, this effort should have been outsourced to a capable contractor and it should have been put in place 15 yrs ago. This is NOT rocket science.

John

Edited by johnfreeman

I complained several times with them. The response I get is that the system wasn't designed for so many users at the same time and there is no funding to correct or upgrade the system. It was made for Internet Explorer 8, which was released in 2009. That's why it doesn't work worth a crap with anything else. That tells me that the system was covertly in place in 2009 or 2010 but never released to the public.

Can you imagine how many more title II items would be out there had it been released years ago???!?!?!?!?!?

If you are a night owl, you can quickly get on after the late night re-boot. The system is down from 0400-0500 Eastern time. When it comes back online it is lightening fast.

I'm up all night so that's what I do. I don't even try to get online after 1pm because you can waste an hour trying to file only 1 form.

I hope this helps.

And yes, the system is terrible and only works 30% of the time, but it's all we have unless you want to wait a year on a mailed in form.

• Upvote 1

Got an email from them today... they're going to reboot the server 4 times a day (taking one hour each time) to increase performance while they debug the system.

It's just really hard to understand how a system that does a relatively few transactions a day can be so fubared.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know the real problem. The re-boot of the system works for around 30 minutes. That's because everyone flocks to get on between re-boots.

They need to fix it.....not re-boot it.

It seems largely discfunctional at any time now, having ground to a total stop.

It really is hard to imagine that someone actually paid for that completely amateurish menu page, but I guess that matches the totally inept function of the page , which, even on a big day, probably handles 10% of the traffic that the Advance Auto, or Dunkin Donut web pages process in a half hour.

I'm sure they'll fix health care though.

Edited by johnfreeman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped by my dealer yeasterday that cleared my e-file form last month. Showed me the official notice from BATFE, E-File system and website shut down until furter notice. All submissions to be done on the traditional paper method from now on and no expected date to put the site back up. Current e-filed submissions will be processed but no new ones accepted.

Sad.....really sad. But it was good while it lasted......not really good but better than mailing them in at least.

Hopefully it will be up sooner rather than later.

Stopped by my dealer yeasterday that cleared my e-file form last month. Showed me the official notice from BATFE, E-File system and website shut down until furter notice. All submissions to be done on the traditional paper method from now on and no expected date to put the site back up. Current e-filed submissions will be processed but no new ones accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

They jusy came up with over 120 million for ACA system upgrades. Thats because there is a VERY large voting constituancy to placate, NFA collectors have no such power, Anyone here complained about either issue, paperwork delays with Health care and/or NFA and gotten equally urgent replys? What is pissed away in a day on most government boondoggles would build a system that gets us turnarounds in a month or so.