Is it worth it to get a West Hurley upgraded?

I don't know about whether it's worth it from a strictly financial viewpoint, but if you want your Tommy to run like a Swiss watch and be something you are proud to show to other people it sure is! I had my WH 1928 "PKed" and don't regret a dime of the cost. It's like getting a totally different gun back.

This type of upgrade does have value. Just don't expect to get the entire $4k back if you sell. Most WH guns are great shooters once you swap out the repro parts. If you have a reliability issue that needs a gunsmith to correct, get it repaired.

Not sure it would cost that much, but I had mine done in two waves many years ago. Turned my Westy into an heirloom.... And anyone worth their salt interested (and knowledgeable) in a West Hurley is going to be impressed with that Diamond K proof mark....

Where does PK put his Diamond K stamp. Just so we can look out for it.

Wherever you want it, or not added at all, your option. I had it put on my WH M1 where the WWII ordnance inspector's mark generally went on the side of the receiver. My reasoning in having it added is that someday I'd want to be able to prove that the gun was PK'ed. Having the work done means that the gun is substantially improved. More and more people know it.

It's important to realize that PK doesn't only do work that brings these guns into spec and makes them reliable. He can also turn your gun into anything that you want it to be. If you'd like a '21A or AC clone, correct down to the milling marks and finish, he's your man. He even makes parts that are impossible to find, like the sight rivets and grip mount.

I wanted my WH M1 turned into a replica of a WWII M1 TSMG, with a blued finish and all of the features that distinguish the early guns from the later M1A1s. PK did a magnificent job.

MVC_010S.JPG

Edited by TSMGguy

A few years ago I had my 1st year production WH 28 PK'd into a 21a model and it is a peice of art. I did not have the mark added (almost wish I had) but I have the invoice and the substantial bill, along with email correspondence to prove he did the work. Although I don't plan on selling for a few more years I am certain the gun is worth more what I paid for the gun and the work today.

Paul is very proud of that proof (and should be), and only puts it where he thinks it deserves to go, which makes it even more valuable to me....

DiaK Proof Stamp.jpg

The one thing that you need to keep in mind if you buy a West Hurley that you plan on having PK redo is PK's time frame. I have a friend that has been on his list over 3 years, so you have to figure about 4 years at least.

The other thing is what you pay for the WH. If planning on having it redone you need to figure in that cost when buying. One can look for a WWII Thompson that doesn't need redoing and have a good working Thompson when you get your paperwork.

Ha PK is the best and his WH's are a piece of art. Just keep everything in mind before paying a high price for a WH.

Frank

Had my WH 28 PK'ed about 10 years ago. Looks great, runs great. It was like getting a totally new gun. I was amazed and I have been fooling with machine guns for over 35 years. His work is without equal. This gun is 100% reliable and smooth as butter. Best money I ever spent was getting it done by PK and yes get the proof mark. Also works great with Merle's .22 conversion kit.

Just my .02