Installing a Green Mountain Barrel on my 1927a1

Bought a Green Mountain 14" barrel for my 1927a1 about a year ago. It came in a machined finish, which I used Brownell Oxpho Bluing to put a blued finish on it. Came out rather nice. Doesn't match, kind of shiny, but I can take care of that in the future.

Bought a barrel wrench that I could never get to work. Think I might of stretched the band trying to take a barrel off of a receiver nub.

Yesterday, I finally broke down and bought a Richardson "Universal Barrel Wrench", wanted the "Heavy Duty Wrench" but he is sold out with no intention of making more. Like all his products the wrench is a work of art. Tried it on a Display gun that I have and it is simple to use and worked great, loosening the barrel and tightening it right up. Well worth the expense.

A plus of living in the Los Angeles area is I can go pick up the wrench from Mr. Richardson. He showed me his shop and latest endeavors which were quite fascinating, at least to me. I enjoy talking to people who pursue their hobbies for a career. The Aluminum 1928 Receiver was really nice and quite light. Probably have to pick one up.

I have a WW2 Cutts that I plan to install for the extra 2" to keep it legal. I had bought a Kahr cuts to install but they have no threads and the barrel is threaded. Maybe I will spring for a Richardson 1921 Cutts and go old school. don't plan to pin it, since it has to be permanently installed with a tack weld.

Now to install the barrel.

Edited by Paladin601

Paladin601,

I envy you, I would love to spend time with Doug he seems to be a neat guy. I take it that he hasn't found a buyer for his business . He has such a wealth of information on Thompson's some young person could have learned a lot from him.

Frank

Pictures will follow.

Frank, it was great talking to him. I met him once at a Gun Show along time ago. He made an impression then as now. He is one of those I will remember the rest of my life.

BTW, Installed the barrel (easier then doing a Garand) ran some dummy rounds through it and a primered case. all worked fine. Had to touch up the barrel oxide a little.

Installed a WW2 Cutts compensator on the barrel with Red Locktite, until I am sure the sight is aligned right. Then I will tack weld it from the back. Will not pin it, but will cut a pin in half and install that for appearance sake.

Edited by Paladin601

Thanks,

Yes it does, I was surprised at the difference as well. The barrel is thicker at the end then the stock barrel, which to me give that illusion of a lot shorter barrel. And the size of the Cutts ads to the illusion. I am very happy with the out come.

By the way, Kahr does use a thread compound on the barrel to receiver threads, but did not require heat to break loose.

Nice work, Paladin. I've been to Doug's toy factory to pick up my Colt receiver. He's a great guy...was nice to finally meet him in person and see the shop. Wish him good health.

I told him it was like going to the Vatican and getting to meet the Pope.

I think it's the kind of business we would all have if we didn't have all the usual boring responsibilities.

Photo: My D.R. Colt Model of 1921 receiver.

By the way....MY Richardson Savage aluminum receiver is on order.

Better get in line!......Phil

HPIM1284.JPG

• 2 months later...

I also last year went with a Green Mountain barrel.

I had someone weld the Cutts on the barrel making it legal.

I have a Quick Disconnect barrel system on the gun to switch back to the factory 16inch barrel.

The Green Mountian is mostly for Blanks, for WW2 reenactment's,

I also have a PLUGGED(steel rod welded inside) 10.5 barrel for static displays,

Looks good with Richardson's Butt Stock kit, for the removable stock.

****Just a note with GM Barrels w Cutts and these guns, the ATF measures the barrel length from the back end of the chamber( primer)

Go to the ATF website, Short Barrels and download the info, I printed it out and laminated the Short Barrel page and keep it with the gun.

Most local law enforcement officers would measure the barrel from the end of the receiver to the end of the barrel which comes up shorter than 16inch.

Also before welding the Cutts on,.... the threads, adjust the total length by bringing the Cutts out a thread or two to make it legal.

With the welding, no one will see the one or two threads.

Local Law Enforcement does not know a Semi from a FA, they see a THOMPSON SMG just like in the movies

And last but not least,.... keep a TAPE MEASURE in your gun case with this set up.

You are Guilty until proven innocent