10/22 SBR vs. accuracy?

Kilroy

Don't know if anyone will Have any insight on this, but I was considering making my 10/22 an SBR, cutting the current barrel from 16.5 to 10.5 or 11".

The barrel that is on there has a 1:16 twist. By cutting off that much of the barrel so that it doesn't have a complete twist, will it affect accuracy? That being said I also have a silencerco sparrow can on the way, I don't know if that will affect accuracy either.

I'm not looking for a tack driver at any distance, just to be accurate at the 25-50 yard distance.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by Kilroy

you should be fine . you using any form of optic?

I used to buy cheapo .22 rifles and take their 20-24" barrels down to 16" to gain better velocity/accuracy.

I want to say a .22lr maxes out ( input real word) about 7-9" .

I got a cheap red dot on there. I like the finned barrel because it reminds me of the M55 reising. I want to cut the Barrel off just past the end of the stock.

I made the stock out of a factory Ruger stock that I got bored with. Finding a wood 10/22 folding stock is impossible. I might strip the stock down again and try and hit it with a stain to make it more dark red/brown.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/725afa98d9d1548d128b7f49f0e799e5_zps3aa3abaf.jpg

Edited by Kilroy

I got a cheap red dot on there. I like the finned barrel because it reminds me of the M55 reising. I want to cut the Barrel off just past the end of the stock.

I made the stock out of a factory Ruger stock that I got bored with. Finding a wood 10/22 folding stock is impossible. I might strip the stock down again and try and hit it with a stain to make it more dark red/brown.http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/725afa98d9d1548d128b7f49f0e799e5_zps3aa3abaf.jpg

Kilroy,

I like the look of that, and it does kind of conjure up the spirit of a Model 55...

David

Kilroy,

I frequent this site and Rimfire Central.

They are a literal wealth of .22 info. Especially 10/22 rugers.

Members of that board are as knowledgeable on .22 guns as the TSMG experts are on this board.

I just had a brl cut to 11.5 but haven't had it to range yet. My research finds no accuracry issues at <75 yds.

Please don't cut that brl! There is a source for that same brl style in 8-10'' lengths factory theaded.

If you can get anther brl... I would like to buy yours.

Contact me offline to chat further.

Dave dsfunk2 @ yahoo.com

Dave, can you point me in the direction of those barrels already to the length I am looking for? I've seen the 8" barrels but that is too short for me. 10.5 is really pushing the too short limit, I want to muzzle to end about 1" beyond the foreend of the stock.

Kilroy,

Source I had was tactical innovations. they only list 8'' brl.Looks like you need to cut yours.

On Rimfire Central is a sponsor who can cut brls. His business is que brl and bolt.

He'll cut to whatever length you wish and rethread too. About $60 to cut and thread.

For $35 he will rework bolt to make it run more reliably and smoother.

I did find that tsmg/rising style brl on TI website and on sale, I'll be ordering one today, they weren't avail for a long time ,

thats why I was interested in yours.

Dave

Tactical innovations is where I got this barrel from. I'll check out that que barrel and bolt to see how much it'll be to get the barrel cut down.

• 2 months later...

Paperwork came through. Got the barrel chopped. I like it. Sorry, horrible cell phone picture:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/9F566759-D868-4CF7-AF17-E4BA240E547E_zpsero5wfsw.jpg

Edited by Kilroy