New Thompson Purchase

in fact the most valuable guns (aside from Colts) would be the very early Savage.

Based on what? Because they produced more wartime production guns than AO, or the tooling came from Colt? They were finished in the same Du-Lite Black Oxide, not high polish blue of the early Colts. For all practical purposes the first AO guns are identical to the Savage in quality and finish. Both went through production line changes to increase efficiency. Now if it is a matter of finned barrel vs. late 1942 smooth barrel, original Lyman ladder sight vs. stamped "L" sight then I could see a value difference. Both plants produced them that way.

I still haven't found the "1928M1" West Hurley Jim alluded to.

Okay, I remember WH putting that "Caliber 45M1" under the TSMG roll mark on the left side. I never heard any reasonable explaination for why they did that when the Model is clearly a "1928". This is the first time I have seen someone attach the two together and call it a 1928M1.

Hope that helps you understand my lack of understanding.

in fact the most valuable guns (aside from Colts) would be the very early Savage.

Based on what? Because they produced more wartime production guns than AO, or the tooling came from Colt? They were finished in the same Du-Lite Black Oxide, not high polish blue of the early Colts. For all practical purposes the first AO guns are identical to the Savage in quality and finish. Both went through production line changes to increase efficiency. Now if it is a matter of finned barrel vs. late 1942 smooth barrel, original Lyman ladder sight vs. stamped "L" sight then I could see a value difference. Both plants produced them that way.

I still haven't found the "1928M1" West Hurley Jim alluded to.

/

The value of collector type guns is based on what collectors are willing to pay for guns.

The amount collectors are willing to pay is usually based on the emotional association the gun has with a colorful person, place, maker, or historical event in the collector's imagination.

You could say that gun values are tied to "interestingness."

When Savage took the tooling from Colt and first started grinding out new Thompsons for WWII, that would count as more "historical" to a typical gun collector than a mid-war production.

It's not about good or bad, it is what it is.

I'm not a long-time Thompson collector but I'm a long time Garand collector and it's not too hard to figure out how collectors assign value to guns.

Setting all that aside, the point I was making is that Savage was the key WWII Thompson maker, literally took over from Colt when Colt decided not to re-start production.

Edited by buzz

Thanks to you all. I really appreciated the tremendous wealth of knowledge on this board. I know I have a lot to learn but this kind of learning is fun. I also can wait for the latest edition of American Thunder to be published as based on the comments here, it is THE definitive book on Thompsons.

One more thing. I know it may be 5 to 10 months before I actually take delivery, but does anyone know a place where I can purchase/obtain the owner's manual for this gun? I would like very much to read how to field strip clean, and oil in advance. Thanks again.

JSG

You can learn a lot by watching videos posted on the Internet.

Just Google things like "Thompson submachine gun field strip".

Field manuals are OK but nothing beats watching some one do it.

Welcome to the world of Thompsonitus!

DD