Got my WH back from PK this week!

Wow I was just going to post that. { I think Gordon sells them }otherwise real nice.i like the blue work.be proud. and they made more Colt's.. for the guys that think HUrlee's.are not Thompson's. before I owned a Colt I had a Hurlee 27 semi. Since you could not own a full auto in the City of Chicago and register it.{ another tale for another time}

anyhow great looking Tommy.

Ron Colt21a

I'm curious, did he Diamond K stamp yours?

I got mine back about 2 weeks ago....he wouldn't stamp mine :wacko:

He does do great work!!

-Darryl

who is pk and how do I get some switches like that.

PK is Paul Krogh of Diamond K. The Thompsonmeister.

The switches were normal paddle types that he worked on to make them 21 style.

Great work on them. He also filled in the hole on the mag release.

Edited by jpw43

Now factory white letter that piece!

TSMG right side.jpg

DiaK Proof Stamp.jpg

Congratulations. How long was she gone? Rust

Now factory white letter that piece!

attachicon.gifTSMG right side.jpg

attachicon.gifDiaK Proof Stamp.jpg

Congratulations. How long was she gone? Rust

I plan on doing the lettering soon. What did you use to do that? In the past I used White-Out.

It was gone from late April and was finished up mid-October. I was out of town and had to wait a week to mail the funds.

Yours is beautiful.

I don't know the reason for no DiamondK stamp on mine.

Maybe he doesn't do that anymore.

I'll have to ask him.

It's a Brownells marker. They come in several colors. PK seems to be selective about the stamp. He did some work on my M1 shooter but try as I might I could not get him to stamp it. R

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/engraving-tools-supplies/inlay-color-fill-sticks/lacquer-stik--prod7778.aspx

The reason given to me is if it isn't stamped,,, the gun itself didn't meet his standards. As in

a poor quality gun in itself ( poor underlying finish and or unrepairable type damage as in a cracked receiver)

Or maybe the owner may have inadvertently tied his hands, not allowing him to do the best job he could.

I presently own (5) PK'd Thompsons that are not Diamond stamped. The only stamped gun I've seen

is Rust's gun. The only guns I really wanted stamped where the Hurleys, a M1 & 28. The others were either

Colts or WWII guns.

As stated above, hanging on to the serial numbered work receipt is paramount to capture the inherent greater resale value.

Maybe PK will elaborate?

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

I used a fine point lacquer stick:

degrease the area to be lettered

fill in engravings with the white paint

wait 15 min for the lacquer to dry

use an old tee shirt and wrap it tightly around around your finger

dip the tee shirt into lacquer thinner and gently wipe across the top of the receiver

use a new section of tee shirt and repeat until the white is gone on the face of the receiver

I see a lot of "white ins" that have a lot of white shadows around the lettering, so to eliminate this use yet

another new section of shirt and thinner and wipe around the lettering to remove the excess. I like the lacquer because you can still keep oil on the gun and it wont yellow like the wax sticks will often do.if you make a mistake or don't like it....use the thinner and a toothbrush to remove it.

Edited by MARK2112

The reason given to me is if it isn't stamped,,, the gun itself didn't meet his standards. As in

a poor quality gun in itself ( poor underlying finish and or unrepairable type damage as in a cracked receiver)

Or maybe the owner may have inadvertently tied his hands, not allowing him to do the best job he could.

I presently own (5) PK'd Thompsons that are not Diamond stamped. The only stamped gun I've seen

is Rust's gun. The only guns I really wanted stamped where the Hurleys, a M1 & 28. The others were either

Colts or WWII guns.

As stated above, hanging on to the serial numbered work receipt is paramount to capture the inherent greater resale value.

Maybe PK will elaborate?

-Darryl

My receiver had some cracks. Maybe that is the reason no stamp.

I don’t assume that anyone would want my hall mark on their gun. I am normally willing place one if two conditions are met; the customer requests it and the gun has not been worked on by someone else in a way that I cannot completely correct.

In Darryl’s case, his receiver was cracked and a poor weld repair made. I was able to fix the mechanics, but I certainly wasn’t going to put my name on the rest of that area of repair. The crack repair was all mine on jpw43’s gun and would not have prevented me from marking had he requested it, but someone had done some sloppy drum chamfering previously that would not completely clean up, and that would have stopped me.

In a nut shell, it’s not a matter of overall quality; it’s a matter of owning what was done. The WH faults are well known, and those caused by others have to owned by them.

• Upvote 2

I don’t assume that anyone would want my hall mark on their gun. I am normally willing place one if two conditions are met; the customer requests it and the gun has not been worked on by someone else in a way that I cannot completely correct.

In Darryl’s case, his receiver was cracked and a poor weld repair made. I was able to fix the mechanics, but I certainly wasn’t going to put my name on the rest of that area of repair. The crack repair was all mine on jpw43’s gun and would not have prevented me from marking had he requested it, but someone had done some sloppy drum chamfering previously that would not completely clean up, and that would have stopped me.

In a nut shell, it’s not a matter of overall quality; it’s a matter of owning what was done. The WH faults are well known, and those caused by others have to owned by them.

Thanks for chiming in and explaining everything.

I'm happy with the work done!

I'm also very happy with the results from Paul's work.

I guess the morale of this story is tell Paul your desires

before he starts the work.

He is a genius / master in creating ways to give these guns a new life.

Thanks Paul,

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

I confess I made the crude drum cuts before I sold the gun to JPW. I hadn't even heard of Paul (PK) at that time.

This was over 20 years ago (1993). Oh well. Paul took care of it.

I gave John a nice (original) flat ejector I had and didn't really need.

It was the least I could do to thank him for buying the gun from me, and it turning out to have all those problems

I'm looking at it now while he's visiting at my house. And it looks BEAUTIFUL. And the parts run smooooooth as glass.