What sling did the British Soldiers use on their Thompsons?

I was wondering what sling that the British soldiers used on their Lend/Lease 1928 Thompsons and on the M1/M1A1 Thompsons? Did the British also get issued the M1A1s?

I know they modified the slings and did the "British Turn" with the top sling swivel on stock and the front handguard had the side swivel installed, so I was wondering if they used the Standard Kerry 1914 sling or maybe the US M3 slings or both?

Thank you for any information.

Early photos taken in 1940 often show the Kerr sling (with the British broad arrow property mark on it). Pretty soon the British realised there was no point spending scarce dollars on slings (and some other stuff) which home-grown items could substitute for and most photos show the usual rifle British sling.

We have come across a ship's manifest specifically mentioning that the shipment was the M1 model. That was one of the very few which gave any detail; usually it was just 'Thompson sub machineguns' or variations on this.

Hi,

Here are some photos I found on the web. When the British got the early Savage Thompson's in 1940 the sling swivel was placed on the right side of the front pistol grip. The sling swivel was moved to the left side later on in 1940 or early 1941 and then the butt was modified so the swivel was placed on the top.

post-258583-0-40371600-1429881847_thumb.jpg Kerr

post-258583-0-72742100-1429881825_thumb.jpg Enfield sling

post-258583-0-96558000-1429882489_thumb.jpg Enfield sling early Savage

Edited by 765 21D
  • Upvote 1