Model 65 .22 Rifle - When Did USMC Release to Civilians?

dalbert

BTW, this is the 500th topic posted on the Reising board!

I know the MC-58 variety of the Model 65 was released to the CMP around 2002...Does anyone know when and how the USMC released the WWII era Model 65's for public sale? I don't recall ever seeing an advertisement. They may have gone through the DCM/CMP long ago, and I just didn't notice at the time, or maybe it was when I was very young. I'm curious if anyone has an answer to this question.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David, if anyone has that answer it will be the folks at Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico VA. I'll see what I can run down. If you have more specific questions or a SN you want more info on, PM or email me and I'll forward to an old MasterGunnery Sergeant who used to be the Sr Enlisted out there. He may can dig up some of that info.

Sandman 1957,

Any information they have on the Model 65 would be welcomed. If they have any paperwork on the evaluation of the weapon for adoption by the USMC in 1943, I would be ecstatic, since I own the original rifle they evaluated.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 month later...

I want to bring this back to the top, as no information has become available yet about how USMC Model 65's (Not MC-58's) were released to the public. I assume it probably happened in the 1950's or 60's, but that's only a guess.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave:

Have you considered a FOIA request to the Marine Corps or the Crane Navy facility? It's sort of a blunt instrument but I was able to extract some valuable info from the Air Force using that method once.

Another alternative may be the CMP. It has been able to provide letters for some guns that were sold by the DCM. If you have a Model 65 that you strongly suspect was a DCM sales gun you might try asking the CMP. I think they charge $25 for a letter, or did so the last time I made that request a few years ago.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Edited by ordnanceguy

Charlie,

Thanks for your insight. A FOIA is certainly a possibility, but it's more effective when one is trying to verify something that is a known record, rather than a research request. I'm not sure I really know to whom to direct it.

I have thought about the CMP, but I have never heard of anyone who bought a Model 65 from them. I've heard plenty of MC-58 CMP stories, but never Model 65's. My gut is that they were released in some other manner, possibly in the 1950's. I thought by now I would have heard some kind of personal account of how they were released.

I'm thinking that maybe a letter to the CMP might be in order.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

There are several WWII trainers that are not known to have been released by the CMP./DCM. The Winchester 75 and the Stevens 416 are two of them.

We know the Remington 513T and the Mossberg 44US were released by the CMP. Also there were the Springfield 1922 series that were released by the DCM.

Other, later 22's were also released by the CMP. These would be the Winchester 52's, Mossberg 144's and Remington 40X's as well as the Mc-58's. Would be nice to

know about all the M65's out there.