Is it possible to reline (sleeve) a Thompson barrel?

While I did not previously bring it up, I did consider acquiring a Thompson .22 LR conversion package. That way I could side step the issue of the .45 ACP barrel with the internal ringing, and avoid the potential negatives of either shooting the ringed barrel as is or having a replacement barrel installed. Relining or rebarreling for 9mm would be similar. Not only is a new barrel (or liner) required, an appropriate bolt/recoil assembly and magazines are also needed. To me, the total expense of changing calibers simply was not worth it, even taking the lower ammo cost into account. Admittedly, I have a 9mm Uzi with a .22 conversion so I can shoot full auto 9mm or .22 any time with no additional investment. Also, at around 10 lbs., the Thompson is a somewhat heavy platform for shooting 9mm or .22.

Best of luck, and enjoy whatever you decide to pursue!

MHO, YMMV, etc.

MP

• 2 weeks later...

I think "restoration" has become a word used by people who have heavily modified -

refinished, made new replacement parts, etc. and no longer means "returned to original".

By definition if something is restored it is not original.

There was an M1 on GB a while back that had been "restored" but in this case someone

machined the sides of the receiver to remove pitting and re-engraved it. So it looks nice,

its restored, but its not original.

I remember years back an antique gun club in my area gave the 1st prize/blue ribbon

to a rifle that they later found out was 98% "restored". In other words, the gun had been

built from scratch with 2% worth of original parts. Where money is involved people will

go to great lengths to make something old look new or something new look original.

Bob

Yep they have done that with cars and boats also.and old building. they are starting next on old Thompson collectors.

parts will be soon sold on e-bay and amazon.keep that secret to board members here only..Colt21a