It should stay in place. The spring holds onto a knob at the top of the button and holds itself and the button into the receiver with a pressure fit. Maybe the spring is bent and not exerting enough outward pressure to hold it in the hole?

Jon

try the spring in the hole, it should be tight on the first turn, it may be simply use a needle nose plier to flatten the coil to get outside diameter to be tight in receiver hole, looking at the spring one end is tight to the inside diameter to hold the pin the other is larger to grab the hole

• 3 weeks later...

I have an older West Hurley gun and it seems the shape of the spring is what holds it in place. Coil it around the button and open up the side going into the hole. I am looking for a copy of a owners manual for the Thompson Semi auto 1927 A1 from the early eightys era. I have a Kahr owners manual but have no been able to find a copy or origional owners manual for my 1980 rifle. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks Jeff

• 1 month later...

How do you remove the button from the receiver ?

Need some help with this. Can't get the button out. Moves up and down against the spring but will not come out. It needs replacing but I don't want to force it. Suggestions?

If I recall twist the button clockwise while you pull on it so that the spring will wind tighter. Winding it in the same direction as its coil twist will slightly reduce the OD of the largest coil of the tapered coil and it will help to reduce its grip in the hole. The largest coil is at the bottom of the cone and is what keeps it in its hole.

If you are going to replace it and have a replacement pull it out carefully with needle nosed pliers, which will stretch it but apparently it ins't any good any way…...

Hey guys I just recieved a new frame latch button and new spring and I see all the problems are with the spring. It grips the button on the bottom and the wide coiling of the end of the spring holds it into the gun. Fixed my problem with a new spring from Kahr. Jeff