Need Some Drum Help

I was updating my inventory list of my guns and accessories and using Hill's book, identified all my drums. All are L drums in VG or better condition. All have been shot and function perfectly.

I have 2 2nd model Worcester drums, 1 4th model Worcester, and and 2 Bridgeport U drums.

Questions -

Any RKI's have an idea as to value of the individual drums or know of sources I might research.

Would like to find a 1st and 3rd model Worcester. I would be open to selling or trading one of the 2nd mod Worcester and one of the Bridgeport drums

My Thompson collection consists of a Colt 21/28, all matching and in near percent condition., an AO 28AC and an AO M1A1

Thanks for any help,

Jerry

Jerry,

Prices for drums tend to bounce around for the typical reasons, but I'll give you my estimates based on my purchases over the past 10+ years.

The 1st version Worcester drum, aka Standard New York drum, is by far the most commonly sought for pairing with Colt guns and is the only one of the Worcesters with a silvered rotor like the numbered and NO. drums. Typical value is $1000-1500, though outstanding or poor specimens may fall outside that range. Worcester 2nd through 4th drums typically run $800-1200.

In recent years, common WWII drums have been consistently valued at $500-600, including NIB examples. Common drums are Seymour, Crosby, and versions 2-5 of United Specialties, commonly referred to as Bridgeport drums. This excludes the more rare drums like the W.P.S. CO. and the less common 1st version United Specialties.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger, thanks for the info. The prices you're suggesting fall within ranges of others ads/sales I found over the last three years using various search engines

Question - I thought I had 2 2nd model Worcester drums. However one does have the Colt silvered rotor. But, both front and rear plate are very definitely 2nd mod variation The back plate clearly has the short hyphen b/t Auto-Ordnance and the Corp spacing is closer to Ordnance unlike the wider spacing on the 1st mod. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

The rotor and plates are both Worcester 1st version. One key thing to look for on the back plate is the punctuation following the state name. The first version has a comma after the N.Y. and before the U.S.A. The second version does not include the comma and, of course, has a blued rotor.

Looks like you have a first and second version Worcester in your collection. Congratulations!

Roger

Here are my thoughts. Drum in avg condition, price research I found from 1-3 years back was avg 600, even in VG condition for WWII drums. However, original drums of any type - Colt, Worcester, WWII, don't seem to come as often as they used to, so older price indicators I found may no longer be valid. I suspect reason for drum "scarcity" is that people like me bought them to add to their collection and are not interested in selling individual drums. When I originally started this thread, I thought I had duplicates of a 2nd variation Worcester and U drum and was going to sell them. Turns out I instead have a 1st variation Worcester (woo hoo!) and a somewhat unusual U drum, in that it was blued but apparently never bead blasted. As a result, I'm not selling either.

If this was my first drum, I'd probably go to 700, especially if I had been looking for some time with no results. Much more than that and I'd pass.

Others here may have differing advice.

Jerry

I think that one has gone too high. It's nice but not that nice. Do you know the other drum you have a bid on, is not a WWII drum?

Nope lol Live and learn. Gun and mag college education can be expensive.