WTB S1928 rear stock

Sand man thinks he has the pistol grip for my S1928, so i am still looking for the original rear stock

here's some info on how to ID it...

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/stock%202_zpsioxrm0mf.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/stock%201_zpsj301hbrl.jpg

if anyone has one im interested....w/o the British reinforcing screws

thanks

Dave

Edited by huggytree

Huggytree,

I have this one. It's the US cross-bolt and not the British so....?

I don't have any provenance on it other than I bought it on GunBroker for my project and ended up finding a non cross bolt one to use. It is not a numbered one but it does have an "S" stamp and some other stamp I can't identify where the buttplate goes. It is stripped and in good condition. I have no idea what it's worth so if you're interested give me whatever a fair offer is...

Jon

20150515_170251.jpg20150515_170300.jpg20150515_170309.jpg

Thanks.....what im looking for is very specific to the first Savage 10,000 guns and would have to be lucky enough to have not gone to england and gone to a police dept instead.....ive found someone w/ a NOS one...im going to wait until my gun comes in and make sure mine i not correct and someone just relocated the swivel

huggytree,

Whoever provided you with the photos you posted isn't exactly correct on the numbering of the Colt vs Savage butt stocks. The production numbers were for later assembly after hand-fitting and as your source pointed out and had nothing to do with the serial number of the gun. They are merely production numbers for reassembly. Only the earliest Savage guns had the same number stamped on the slide latch metal. The Colt guns were not stamped on the slide latches , just the butt stock and butt plate. I am also not sure if all the earliest Savage butt stocks had the S stamp on the wood as your source mentions. If you find a butt stock with the wood, butt plate and slide latch all stamped with the same production number it would be correct for an early Savage gun. Even if your butt stock (when you receive the gun) doesn't have all three parts stamped it doesn't mean it might not be the original butt stock for the gun. The stamping of the slide latches was apparently dropped quite early on during production. I don't believe anyone knows of a specific cut-off timeline when that occurred.

Forgot to mention, the early stocks were slightly smaller than the later mid-war production replacement stocks, with and without the reinforcing bolt. That is why it is sometimes difficult to rebuild early stocks with later un-numbered butt plates and vice versa. The contour of the end of the stock also varied slightly between manufacturers.

Edited by gijive

thanks.....the profile and look of my butt stock looks correct from the photo's i got from the seller....they dont focus on the stock, so i cant really tell...my stock does look like the thinner profile and the back looks correct also....the only thing i can see is the swivel is in the wrong spot.......(with my very untrained eye)

i did ask the seller to take the back plate off and take pics if he has time.....not counting on it, but it depends on if he cares at this point or if he is like me - a curious person....he has had this gun for over a year and he doesnt sell many FA's, so maybe he will be curious to see what he just sold me....

im not going to do anything or buy the butt stock until i know it isnt correct....and i now have a good source if i want a NOS one.......i am looking for a 1928a1 Savage vert. foregrip though.....i doubt i ever find the real original one of these and if i did wouldnt know it...the slight shape differences are so minor and the cost would be so high....best to get a WW2 one and be happy with what it is.....

im done w/ thompson fever for a while until it comes in

No problem. Never hurts to check.

The discussion here made me look at the one I ended up using. turns out I got some good parts. I bought mine as a complete set. It is mis-matched but the slide and stock are numbered as you see below. Buttplate is not numbered. I bought these out of England for pretty cheap through Chelmsford Militaria. https://www.chelmsfordmilitaria.com/index.php?ix=136&iw=251&e_cat=6&selcat=6

He has some Thompson parts and is priced much more fair than I usually see parts go for here in the states (even with shipping). Maybe he would have what you need.

Jon

20160224_183012.jpg20160224_183120.jpg