Is this sling a genuine WWII?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391523165601?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can't tell, other than it has a rivet or two that are split, which seems like a red flag to me. So, what say you? Is it real or fake? Is it the right length for an M1?

Please be cool and don't bid on this if it ends up being the real deal, and you only found out about it when I posted this thread. I'm just trying to get some info so I can try to get it if it is actually the real deal

Please be cool and don't bid on this if it ends up being the real deal, and you only found out about it when I posted this thread. I'm just trying to get some info so I can try to get it if it is actually the real deal

You think you are the only one that finds Thompson related items on Ebay?

Personally, I would go with a repo Kerr sling; the material is newer, as are the fittings, and it's made exactly like the WW2 version (by the same manufacturer).

Rob

Thanks for the info. Like this? http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Magazine-Pouches-and-Slings/Thompson-US-Thompson-SMG-Kerr-Sling-TKERRSL.asp

Yeah, that's like mine; I wouldn't trust a 70+ year old NOS sling with my Thompson....I use mine in WW2 reenacting, and running through the woods, while losing your weapon, isn't cool.

Rob

Personally, I would go with a repo Kerr sling; the material is newer, as are the fittings, and it's made exactly like the WW2 version (by the same manufacturer).

Rob

Thanks for the info. Like this? http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Magazine-Pouches-and-Slings/Thompson-US-Thompson-SMG-Kerr-Sling-TKERRSL.asp
Yeah, that's like mine; I wouldn't trust a 70+ year old NOS sling with my Thompson....I use mine in WW2 reenacting, and running through the woods, while losing your weapon, isn't cool.

Rob

Cool. Thanks. Ordered

I think it's ok. Really hard to tell on some of the photos if the rivit is split or not. Looks ok and may be worth the gamble. Higher res photos would be better but I see the auctions almost up

Ron

There's one picture that's clear if you zoom in. It's definitely split, which is something I've heard the fake ones do. I decided to let some other guy take the risk. Only one bid. Maybe it was Roscoe ;)

I think it's ok. Really hard to tell on some of the photos if the rivit is split or not. Looks ok and may be worth the gamble. Higher res photos would be better but I see the auctions almost up

Ron

There's one picture that's clear if you zoom in. It's definitely split, which is something I've heard the fake ones do. I decided to let some other guy take the risk. Only one bid. Maybe it was Roscoe ;)

Not me, I have all I will probably ever need.

Plenty of photos of originals and reproductions here - http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10090

Was it a real WW1 Kerr sling ? Yes , someone got it at 2/3s the going rate .

Was it a real WW2 M3 Thompson sling ? Nope , see first line .

Chris

That's too bad, seeing as it was advertised as being a WWII Thompson original. Glad I dodged a bullet though. I sure get tired of ebay sellers using the term WWII incorrectly. On multiple occasions, I have pointed it out to sellers of knives and other memorabilia, and most of the time they offer to correct it, so I at least feel like I'm helping out the next guy here and there

I do the same thing, Mr.B...most of the time, they thank me for the corrections; some of the time, though, I think it's intentionally misleading in order to sell the item to the unknowing noob.

Rob

• 1 month later...
Hi I jst got my Kerr sling any thoughts on how to mount it on the front pistol grip mount I have an enifeild sling swivel. I think It gose up high or on an angle so your finger tips don't hit it I am right handed also how much treads do you need to have I don't want to crack the wood