A few questions about filling out Form 1

I'd sure appreciate some help. I'm wanting to SBR my Kahr, by eventually purchasing a factory short barrel from Kahr for it.

1. I have a Kahr TM1. Is that the model number I should use, or should I use the name Thompson and/or Auto Ordnance as well?

2. What is the length of the barrel and overall length they ask for on the form?

3. Form asks why I intend to make the firearm. I'm guessing if I were to say "Because the long barrel you jokers think is so much less dangerous looks stupid and incorrect" probably won't work. What is a good general thing to say?

4. List makers name city and state which will appear on firearm. Do I just put what a Kahr already has engraved on it?

5. I see there are 3 copies of this form, and they say at the bottom who they are for. Do I essentially fill out the form 3 times, or can I print the first section out 3 times if I fill out the fillable pdf?

6. Local law enforcement no longer needs to approve the form, but they need to be sent a copy, and then they can chime in if they think there's a problem with someone getting an SBR. Do I need to send the form to local law enforcement, or will the ATF do that?

7. There's an area where the form asks for name and address of local law enforcement. Do I need to supply that? If so, who do I pick? Local Sheriff or should it be local PD, or someone else? The whole thing is just confusing.

8. Name and address of original manufacturer. Should I list it as Kahr, Auto Ordnance, or both? What's a good address to use for them for this purpose?

9. I have heard that fingerprints are required, but I don't see anything about that on the new form. Is this no longer needed? If it is, where do I go to have this done?

Any help you can give would be great!

Edited by MisterB

I haven't done of the new post 41f forms(which is what you have there which requires notification to your local law enforcement. So I'll help where I can.

1-model is just TM1 in your case

2-barrel is 10.5" overall is 32"

3-collection, investment, any other lawful purpose

4-your name, your city and state(this is what needs to be engraved on your Thompson upper or barre after you receive the approved stamp.

5-all need to be originals and originals are what must be submitted, you can make a copy for yourself, but the other three need to be original.

6-you send it to them

7-not sure here

8-KAHR with their address which I think is MA?

9-I think you still need them, you need to get the blue FBI cards from the ATF, they will mail them to you. You can do them yourself, or you can have them taken at your local police department.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

I haven't done of the new post 41f forms(which is what you have there which requires notification to your local law enforcement. So I'll help where I can.

1-model is just TM1 in your case

2-barrel is 10.5" overall is 32"

3-collection, investment, any other lawful purpose

4-your name, your city and state(this is what needs to be engraved on your Thompson upper or barre after you receive the approved stamp.

5-all need to be originals and originals are what must be submitted, you can make a copy for yourself, but the other three need to be original.

6-you send it to them

7-not sure here

8-KAHR with their address which I think is MA?

9-I think you still need them, you need to get the blue FBI cards from the ATF, they will mail them to you. You can do them yourself, or you can have them taken at your local police department.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Very helpful. Thanks! Can anyone else help with question 7, and chime in anywhere else they see fit?

Are you filing as an Individual or a Trust/Corp/LLC? It makes a difference as if you "are not" filing as an individual you only need to "notify" local law enforcement and therefore do not need to fill that section in because you are no getting CLEO sign off.

I just got two more stamped Form1's back last week but they were submitted before 41f so I could be wrong........but I don't think so.

Edited by MadDogDan

On a new form, you can pick either the Chief of Police or the Sheriff as the CLEO. When you fill out the three originals, the last one (marked CLEO) is to be sent to the CLEO by the applicant. I would do it by certified mail so you have evidence of compliance.

Dan

PS If you are using a trust, you also need to send the CLEO a copy of the responsible person form for each responsible person in the trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more questions:

1. At the bottom of page 2 of the ATF copy, it asks for Signature of maker. Do I just leave that blank? Edit, the instructions say that Maker means "A person applying to make an NFA firearm". So, I would think I should sign

Edit: figured it out. I'm supposed to sign

2. On page 3 of the ATF copy, question 15 asks for the number of responsible persons associated with the applicant trust or legal entity. I assume I leave that blank, since I'm filing as an individual? On question 16 right below it, it asks for the name of each person associated with the applicant trust or legal entity. Leave that blank too?

Edit: Both should be left blank, since I'm filing as an individual

3. They say in the instructions that the form 1 needs to be printed front to back (double sided) or they won't accept it. Problem is, when you do that, one of the pages titled ATF copy ends up going along with the CLEO copy. What the hell? Guess I should reprint that one page only to send along to the ATF?

Edit: I reprinted just that page

I got everything mailed off today. Fingers crossed. Sounds like it takes about 5 months or so?

Edited by MisterB

• 2 weeks later...

On number 4 , I'd have the work done BEFORE the paperwork comes back . Before , it's just a reciever , after , it's an SBR with posession / control issues .

Chris

Don't you mean, you'd have the paperwork come back before I have the work done?

When the paperwork comes back your gun will be an SBR and the engraver will not be able to legally take possession of it to work on it.

I was talking about the engraving of your name , city , and state.

I just got my form 1 kicked back and had to do corrections to it .

Your engraving should be done after the approval comes back . I did mine before . ATF says that was a no-no . I asked why a no-no and they said they didn't want it done . I asked if I had broken a law and the penility / fine involved . They said I had not and no penility / fine was involved . I then asked that because the only engraver around here was not a class 3 , what would be ATF's reaction of me leaving the approved reciever at his shop for a week or two till he gets to it . He said I'd be breaking the law with massive penilities and fines involved .

I'm glad I did it before approval .

Also note , to balance out the engraving look , I used Ariz for Arizona . That is not legal anymore . Must use AZ or complete name . Luckily I have the room to expand it to Arizona .

HTH , Chris