Bridgeport Commercial 1928AC Thompson Coming Up For Sale

GI Jive and everyone who has provided input...Thank you. This is a great forum. All of your comments/thoughts are appreciated and keep them coming.

I'll let you folks know what internals are in the 1928 AC once in my hands in case anyone is collecting such data...or not.

I am looking forward to shooting it and I will most likely file a FOIA in the foreseeable future.

Scott

dtscott, congratulations on purchasing a nice gun. I was lucky enough to pick up a nice 1928AC a few years back as well. It's my only FA Thompson and it's been a great gun to own and shoot. When I purchased my Thompson, someone here on the board recommended that I replace the original fiber buffer if it was still in the gun. The original buffers lose their resilience with age and so running the gun with an old buffer can cause damage to the receiver. It turned out that mine did still have the original buffer and I was able to replace it with minimal effort. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to shoot it.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your gun!

• 6 months later...

The 1928 AC Bridgeport arrived last week and as promised the list of internals is listed below and their vendor markings.

Upon receiving it I cleaned, inspected and put in a new polyurethane buffer. I have run 400 rounds thru it! Except for a couple of FTFs (magazine issue) it ran flawlessly.

Need to dig up a NOS breech oiler or felt material. Have a request into Phil Ordnance for one.

1928 AC Bridgeport - Internal Parts

B – (Gussack Mfg. Co.); Magazine Catch Body

CC – (Cinaudagraph Co.); Rocker, Hammer

D – (Dittonborn); Rear Grip, Butt Stock

M – (Strombeck-Becker); Horizontal Fore Grip

P – (Petroleum Heat & Power); Butt Stock Slide Catch

P – (Pitney Bowers); Trigger, Safety

R – (Remington); Butt Plate

S – (Savage (Round S); Rocker Pivot, Barrel, Recoil Buffer Rod, Firing Pin

AOC – (Auto Ordnance Corp.); Disconnector, Trip, Sear Lever, Sear, Bolt, Pivot Plate, Blish Lock, Fore Grip, Receiver, actuator, and Frame

Cheers - Scott

Edited by dtscott

That is a really great gun, congrats.

I would not change out a single part on it. As other noted, the mix of parts is appropriate to the history of the gun.

Make sure your recoil spring is good.

Edited by buzz

• 2 weeks later...

Huggytree...thanks for the advise.

One of the reasons I went for this 1928AC was that the top and bottom frames had matching numbers which indicated to me the attention to detail/fitting to this piece. The serial number suggests to me that it could have been built in early 1942. So the internals may have been Savage, AOC or any of the contractor internal parts... or a combination of all of them. Not sure what the correct parts would be based on the information or lack of at my disposal. If I am not mistaken, Remington also made knurled actuators...which this one may have. Internals are a mystery at this point but I will post what I find when I finally receive it.

dtscott,

Of course the gun was made in 1942, they didn't produce the 1928 Model after 1943, all production went to making the M1 series guns. Didn't anyone read the previous post by TD? He explains that the 1928 guns with the US and A1 ground off and sold to law enforcement were a mix of parts. Your gun will be a mix of parts as well when you get a chance to examine it. There is no "correct" for these post-war law enforcement sales guns.

Edited by gijive