Great Photo

Very nice! Never seen that one before. It looks like the stock on the 28 in the middle was ditched. Unless he still has it in his pack.

Andrew

Very nice! Never seen that one before. It looks like the stock on the 28 in the middle was ditched. Unless he still has it in his pack.

Andrew

I don't think it's a 1928a1 it appears to be a M1, notice the trigger frame rails on the side and the receiver is all one thickness all the way down, it does appear that he has taken the stock off though

Oh yeah, after a second look it is definitely a M1. Somehow I missed the rails lol. But it definitely seems to sit too close to the ground for it to have the buttstock on.

Andrew

I found the picture info, After five days of front line fighting, three airborne infantrymen of the 17th airborne division, take a break before going back for a rest, on the outskirts of Essen, Germany. Left to right: Pvt. William H Sandy, Charlottesville, VA.; Sgt Dehaven Nowlin, Goshen KY.; and Pvt Howard Fredericks, Los Angeles, CAL.

507th Parachute Regiment, 17th Airborne Division, Near Essen, Germany.

10 April, 1945

Photographer Sgt T J Austin 168

Not very often you see pictures of paratroopers from anything but 82nd or 101st

• Upvote 1

Love the guy in the middle... "I'll just rest my thumb on the end of the barrel..."

The colorized version does add a lot of dimension to the picture.

Edited by 06AngusSG

The two guys on the right could be brothers. Same facial features, same hairline.

Machine guns went through a lot of ammo. I wouldn't think it unusual to be detailed to carry extra cans.

The sign reads, "To public air raid shelter"

Edited by TSMGguy

Like TSMGguy said its not uncommon to see soldiers carrying ammo for machine guns, more then likely they belong to a fire team or squad with a 30 Cal in it, ammo for machine guns is distributed through out the squad so that the machine Gunner and Assistant Gunner don't have to carry all the ammo