Hi guys,

Just bought a new to me Thompson M1 now that Im no longer in California. I love this little carbine. Is there anything I need to be wary of as an owner of one of these? Its hard to cycle still but I feel that is because it was unfired and needs to break in. Is it worth putting the extended charging handle on?

I bought one last year and mine runs great. deerslayer has done a few mods to it for me . he polished the breech and put some ezpull springs in it. I didn't really have much problem with the originals. just wanted to see what the difference was. I would also talk to him about modifying your mag catch to use the original Thompson mags.. ive probably run about 500 live rounds and about that many blanks through mine. only time ive had a feed issue was with the ocasional underloaded blanks or a feed lip on the mag that wasn't quite right.

Are surplus mags still readily available in order to make modifying the catch worthwhile?

Most of the Thompson magazines available are unaltered surplus mags ... The only company that I know of that offers them altered to fit the semi-auto is Numrich ... And the fit is suspect at best ... Mags that are altered are best done to fit your weapon. Feed problems with magazines have historically plagued the Thompson ... I just finished reading a book about the depression-era outlaw Charles Arthur Floyd and there are several instances described in the book of Thompson's, both law enforcement and gangster guns jamming due to feed issues.