Nazi stamp on Thompson buttstock

why does the stamp look 3d outward vs stamped inwards like one would expect?

also the stamp doesnt look like anything i own and i own nearly every type of nazi pistol

if i hear a thompson and im a nazi i shoot the guy....i would not want to carry the enemies gun and shoot it around my friends

Edited by huggytree

Definitely would like to see a picture of the whole stock to see the location.

why does the stamp look 3d outward vs stamped inwards like one would expect?

also the stamp doesnt look like anything i own and i own nearly every type of nazi pistol

if i hear a thompson and im a nazi i shoot the guy....i would not want to carry the enemies gun and shoot it around my friends

Probably just the lighting in the picture making it look 3d outward.

Andrew

Rebuild depots would stamp Waffenamts on captured weaponry....I've seen them on quite a few French firearms as well as Beretta SMG's.

The pic you posted, however, doesn't look like any type of Waffenamt used on weaponry......it's more of a Political Eagle. The only thing it is remotely similar to is pre-war Polizei used on leather goods.

Anything like this would be a fake, plain and simple. There is virtually no chance that it is legitimate and original. American weapons were occasionally captured by the Germans and used, however briefly. The photographic record supports this. American weapons were not cataloged, inventoried, and distributed as beautewaffen. They were not supported with spare parts and ammunition obtained or produced for them by the Germans. They were not overhauled or repaired in German depots.

Edited by TSMGguy

I agree that the format of the stamp does not look like

any Waffenamnt I have ever seen. I would doubt this as

being authentic unless there was a clear documentation,

etc.

People have been faking stuff for years and I would think

this is just some guy fooling around with stamps and wood.

My $0.02

Bob

• Upvote 1

In the 70s a came across a fair selection of original Waffenampt stamps I ended up trading. After that waffen proofed Carbines and 1911s started cropping up through his circle of scammers, even Garands

This was going on late 70s

To the best of my knowledge Germany NEVER accepted any allied arm via proof

some 1914 .45s from Norway were proofed

M1 Carbines were issued to Axis troops when they had ammo but they were not accepted

Same is true of British STEN Mk II Smgs

Germans captured 100s of thousands of SMLEs and millions of rounds of ammo in 1940

not a one a german proofed for issue

neither were the BRENs or Boyes ATRs

I have seen a lot of period photos with troops both German and allied using the other sides weapons. BUT- with a few German exceptions that were taken in large numbers or made under license for them none were inspected and authorized. Even guns used as regular issue were not waffen proofed - ( .e.g. 1914 Hotchkiss guns in Norway and France on the D-day beaches, PPsH-41s) I got to inspect several of these taken from the beach emplacements and they were standard French guns with no added markings. I did not have the opportunity to photo them unfortunately.

Welcome all, I am new to these boards. I have been collecting Nazi weapons for 40 years. The Germans stamped things for accountability. If this weapon had gone though a depot it would have a number under the Eagle with the corresponding inspectors ID number. This stamp is bogus.