I know that the hole in the forward part of the receiver tube was put there to lock the bolt in place via a nub in the cocking handle. What I don't know (and can't find in any of my books or online) is when that was incorporated into the gun. Was it part of the original Mk II design? Or the Mk III? If it was a retrofit, when did that start?

The early Sten cocking handles were not long enough, no "pin" on the end, so the "safety" locking hole came later. A new MKV (?) cocking handle was designed with a "pin" that was long enough to fit in the hole. They are the most commonly encountered in part kits.

If you have Laidler's Sten book the details are probably in there.

Yes, my C&R STEN does not have that feature. I read somewhere (I think this forum so maybe search back in time a year or two ago) they modified them for safety purposes, just like my C&R BNZ 41 MP40 does not have the modification to enhance safety (has the original hooked cocking handle on the bolt and no modification cut slot to the receiver).

Robert

P.S., I looked back and discussed here: New to Me C&R STEN Mk II - Sten and Sterling Message Boards - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

Edited by Robert Henley

The cocking handle shown in the link is the type that was designed for the safety hole. The early ones are shorter, they will slip out of your hand if your not careful. The original short type are hard two find. I looked at shows in England and could never find one, I suspect most were destroyed. I eventually found them online.

Yes, my C&R STEN does not have that feature. I read somewhere (I think this forum so maybe search back in time a year or two ago) they modified them for safety purposes, just like my C&R BNZ 41 MP40 does not have the modification to enhance safety (has the original hooked cocking handle on the bolt and no modification cut slot to the receiver).

Robert

P.S., I looked back and discussed here: New to Me C&R STEN Mk II - Sten and Sterling Message Boards - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

Robert

That article helps a lot. It didn't come up in my search. Thanks.

• 1 year later...