1928A1 trigger guard numbering and front grip

I posted my first question under another thread. But I think it got lost, so I thought I'd post it as a new topic.

Was the trigger frame of the Thompson 1928A1 always numbered? I've seen some examples with no numbering on the trigger frame, but I'm unsure as to whether they left the factory that way, or whether they are replacement parts.

Second question ... what should I be looking for in order to distinguish an original front vertical grip from a reproduction.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I posted my first question under another thread. But I think it got lost, so I thought I'd post it as a new topic.

Was the trigger frame of the Thompson 1928A1 always numbered? I've seen some examples with no numbering on the trigger frame, but I'm unsure as to whether they left the factory that way, or whether they are replacement parts.

Second question ... what should I be looking for in order to distinguish an original front vertical grip from a reproduction.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

Apparently, there were some late WWII or post-WWII grip frames made as spare parts that are un-numbered. All WWII 1928 or 1918A1 grip frames were originally numbered to match the receiver. The number was eventually dropped on the WWII M1 and M1A1 series Thompsons that were made during the war.

Experience and seeing a lot of grips is the key to spotting originals from reproductions.

Below are examples of Colt era grips:

Colt front grips 1.jpg Colt front grips 2.jpg Colt front grips 4.jpg Colt front grips 5.jpg

Colt front grips 6.jpg Colt front grips 7.jpg Colt front grips 8.jpg Colt front grips 9.jpg

Colt front grips 10.jpg

The key points are the top front of the grip, the horizontal edge running parallel to the top of the grip, the curve for the web area of the thumb, the tail of the grips smoothness and length, and the palm swell on the sides.

Edited by gijive

If its an original M1921, M1928, or M1928A1 the trigger frame was numbered to match the receiver when it left the factory.

As far as identifying original grips, its not easy since people have been making copies for years. Really the only way is have seen so many and be so familiar with original grips that you can spot the subtle features where the copies are different from originals. It could be the wood, it could be the contours, etc.

Bob