Thompson Bolt

48 minutes ago, wcwarren said:

Does it matter if the firing pin is fixed or floating?  From what I have read it don’t. 

The rate of fire is generally found to be higher (and I hesitate to characterize the difference) with the M1 bolt than the M1A1 bolt.   See, for example:M1 VS M1A1 THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN CYCLIC RATE - Small Arms Review

I believe that this is due to the operation of the M1A1 bolt includes advanced primer ignition that gives the shell casing an earlier rearward motion (thus slowing down the bolt sooner) than does the M1 bolt.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well. MP

On the floating pin M1 bolt the firing pin is not visible with the bolt cocked.  The bolt has a transverse hole near the bottom front of the square section of the bolt body through which the pivot shaft for the hammer passes.  There is a slot in the center of the bottom front of the square section in which the hammer rides.  To remove the bolt handle it is necessary to push the protruding tip of the hammer rearwards which also moves the firing pin forwards ans into view in the bolt face.

The M1A1 has none of these features and the firing pin is visible at all times