3rd Thompson Carbine.

First one was a rusty M1927A1, gone.

Second one was M1927A5, aluminum reciver. Still waiting on Las Cruze to get back on me.

Both of those are West Hurleys. So this is my first Thompson from Kahr Arms. And so far I'm impressed. Mostly from very low expectations. 

Bought it for $1,000 from a Local gunstore on consignment from the owner. Only issues were from 1 of my magazines not picking up ammunition consistently.

I already purchased Howell Arms lighter pull kit. And I'm waiting until next Friday to do my eform for a tax stamp. 

To buy/purchase list:

Thompson 10.5 Barrel

More blued 30 round stick magazines

Case/Crate

Sling

USGI Magazine Lever

My questions are:

What is a quick change barrel, I've seen people talk about that here and there on this forum. I would like to swap in-between a finned threaded barrel and a smooth barrel.

Will a 1928 Magazine lever work on the M1A1 lower, looks exactly the same.

What other modifications should I make or adjustments to the weapon or anything really to smooth it out, such as trigger or spring replacements. 

20230104_154939.thumb.jpg.6abc42c479a7640e8b36df3879601099.jpg

Can't wait to finish out this Thompson.

Yes, that way you do not ruin it for full auto. I have mags that I am getting together to sell on the boards. Both 20 and 30. Should happen if I can get time in the next two weeks or so.

putting a gi mag catch in wont work unless its modified.     the catch has to be cut down to accept the original mags.   deerslayer  can do this for you...he can also do the quick change barrels.    not sure why you would want to go from smooth to fined       mine are setup to go from the 10.5 blank fire barrels to the live fire barrels     i also have the ezpull springs, and on your gun you could do the fake selector.     there more options to make them look more like the originals..    

1 hour ago, peter kohler said:

putting a gi mag catch in wont work unless its modified.     the catch has to be cut down to accept the original mags.   deerslayer  can do this for you...he can also do the quick change barrels.    not sure why you would want to go from smooth to fined       mine are setup to go from the 10.5 blank fire barrels to the live fire barrels     i also have the ezpull springs, and on your gun you could do the fake selector.     there more options to make them look more like the originals..    

Yeah the quick change barrels are just so I can use a threaded barrel if I want too.

I already attempted to get a bolt hold open selector installed but it's been over 2 years waiting on Las Cruze gunsmith to finish it.

If the catch needs to be cut down it might just be cheaper in the short-term just to buy surplus mags and Modify them properly. Every modded magazine I get is always screwed up, like no ones ever heard the term measure twice cut once.

You could send the mag catch off to be modified, but I just used a Dremel with a grinding tip and a flat file. Removing 0.1" from the top of the round nub on the catch is easy, and I did it to the factory Kahr catch on my M1927A1 rather than buy an original to save a few bucks. Just go slowly and test fit a mag to see where it starts to catch properly.

the last thing you want to do is spend big money on original mags and destroy them      its so much easier to modify the catch then to try and get the hole in the mag right by filing it.    ive done about 6 thompson mag catches .    all my mags are interchangeable with all my guns.   they all feed great   if i were you id be trying to get my lower back from that gunsmith